Thumb over E and A barres - any luck?

Into Nation

• Members

I've always done these barres with the index finger providing the barre. It's worked, but I get thumb muscle strain after a while. The thumb over method is more comfortable, but I can't seem to get the high strings to ring right. Thicker necks work better but it's still not a clean chord.

I've watched numerous artists using the thumb over and they make it look simple. Anyone been here done this?

• Members

I use my thumb over the E string in almost any chord that will allow it. It's much easier for me. But i've never tried to get the A string with it. I would imagine twisting ones hand over that far would make it difficult to get the fingers cleanly on the other strings. That probably doesn't help much, just my thoughts.

• Members

I use my thumb over the E string in almost any chord that will allow it. It's much easier for me. But i've never tried to get the A string with it. I would imagine twisting ones hand over that far would make it difficult to get the fingers cleanly on the other strings. That probably doesn't help much, just my thoughts.

If just considering the E barre, the 4th finger takes care of the A string. I've got no problem with that. It's the high strings that get muffled for me the G B and E.

• Members

I am blessed with enough thumb to comfortably barre the E and A but you sacrifice reach range up and down the neck if you rely on it too much. I try to keep my thumb behind the neck mostly. But whatever works is what you should stick to I suppose.

• Members

I've been barring with my pointer forever, but recently just learned little wing which only allows you do really use the pointer for half the chords in the verses. it's literally impossible to play that song correctly without thumbing the E sometimes

it's a good thing to teach your fingers, you never know when you'll need to do it

• Members

When I do the thumb over the neck thing it's usually just the low E and the D, G, B strings. Sometimes the A string too.

Like this:

-x-
-5-
-6-
-7-
-x-
-5-

or

-x-
-5-
-6-
-7-
-7-
-5-

or the Little Wing chord

-7-
-5-
-x-
-7-
-x-
-5-

• Members
When I do the thumb over the neck thing it's usually just the low E and the D, G, B strings. Sometimes the A string too.

Like this:

-x-

-5-

-6-

-7-

-x-

-5-

or

-x-

-5-

-6-

-7-

-7-

-5-

or the Little Wing chord

-7-

-5-

-x-

-7-

-x-

-5-

Thanks for your info and the time you spent posting. I'll check out those. :thu:

• Members
I've always done these barres with the index finger providing the barre. It's worked, but I get thumb muscle strain after a while. The thumb over method is more comfortable, but I can't seem to get the high strings to ring right. Thicker necks work better but it's still not a clean chord.

I've watched numerous artists using the thumb over and they make it look simple. Anyone been here done this?

Keep them both. Develop them both if you are growing. Suite Madame Blue only works with the thumb and it's good to have that available.

Also, those cramps and strains are part of it, no matter how long you have been playing. If you get into a situation where you are playing many hours with a band during a week believe me, it will happen, and you will be making adjustments with your grip and attack in real time to keep playing and that thumb is going to come into play sooner or later :thu:

PS- my main position is with the index finger, sometimes I throw in the thumb just to keep from being bored doing songs that I have 4000 hours worth of playing history on :cool:

• Members

I have been doing that since I started, mainly cuz the first songs I learned were Jimi SRV and such.

I find it helpful for quick changes, chord/melody etc.

But I still find it easy to mute unwanted strings in the basic major chord!:mad:

• Members

If just considering the E barre, the 4th finger takes care of the A string. I've got no problem with that. It's the high strings that get muffled for me the G B and E.

I have the same problem with the B and G but only above about the 10th fret with an index barre. Below there all is fine and clean.

No idea why.............

• Members

It depends on where I'm going with it - if i'm simply holding down a barre chord i'll use my index finger. If I'm going for a bass note while doing some sort of chord embellishment, like hendrix was a master of, I'll use my thumb as that seem to make it easier for me to move about on the fretboard.

Overall though I try to do as few full barres as I can get away with. Chords with fewer notes seem to sit better in a band arrangement

• Members

I always use my thumb for E (and to a lesser extent A) in barre chords. I've never noticed a problem with high E and B strings ringing, in fact it's important to several Jimi Hendrix songs (e.g. Castles Made of Sand, Little Wing).

I find it easier if the guitar neck is lower (further away from your head), it brings your thumb over the neck further and helps to keep your index finger against the fretboard. It's the opposite for a normal (index fingered) barre chord, where it's easier when the guitar is higher so that your finger can reach under the neck.

I also use my thumb for walking basslines in finger picked songs (e.g. Babe I'm Gonna Leave you).

Archived