George Lynch Screamin' Demon or Phat Cat P90?

turnip

• Members

What should I drop in the bridge of my Epiphone Les Paul? Looking for rude, brash dirt, but with clarity across strings (lots of odd chords). Also, nice, spanky, maybe Tele-ish cleans. Rude all-round?

• Members

Okay, how 'bout this:

Any of you that have used these pickups; care to write a bit about them? What they are good at, what they are bad at? How they sound clean, dirty, how they feedback? Etc...?

• Members

I have a Screamin' Demon in a Jackson Superstrat guitar. The pickup is not a high output pickup like a Duncan JB, but instead is a PAF style humbucker with a bit more hair and singing harmonics. The pickup cuts through well with a clarity like a single coil pickup, but with more chunk. Backing off on the volume gives you a nice aggressive blues tone with a slight edge of growl to it. The pickup cleans up nicely though with a good amount of dynamics and is better than a high output pickup due to the capability of nice clean and dirty sounds. Make sure you use 500K volume and tone pots, as this pickup benefits with that setup as it increases the flexibility of sounds better than 250K pots.

• Members

I have a Screamin' Demon in a Jackson Superstrat guitar. The pickup is not a high output pickup like a Duncan JB, but instead is a PAF style humbucker with a bit more hair and singing harmonics. The pickup cuts through well with a clarity like a single coil pickup, but with more chunk. Backing off on the volume gives you a nice aggressive blues tone with a slight edge of growl to it. The pickup cleans up nicely though with a good amount of dynamics and is better than a high output pickup due to the capability of nice clean and dirty sounds. Make sure you use 500K volume and tone pots, as this pickup benefits with that setup as it increases the flexibility of sounds better than 250K pots.

Thanks a lot. This sounds like it might be the better solution; I don't want to route any additional holes for switches in the guitar (for the P-Rail pup's). How nasty or dirty does the Screamin' Demon get? Will it do brash garage rock justice?

• Members

Thanks a lot. This sounds like it might be the better solution; I don't want to route any additional holes for switches in the guitar (for the P-Rail pup's). How nasty or dirty does the Screamin' Demon get? Will it do brash garage rock justice?

The Screamin' Demon can easily do garage rock, punk, classic rock, metal, etc. It's a versatile pickup and can cover quite a bit of ground. Depending on the amp gain or overdrive/distortion pedals this pickup can get a nice articulate grind and for soloing it has a smooth character and singing harmonics. Pinch harmonics and squeals are easy, as long as you have enough gain from the amp. For example, I use a Peavey VTM 120 head which sounds like a Marshall JCM 800 with a bit more gain. The screamin' demon through the stock gain of my amp can get a bit more saturated than the typical AC/DC overdrive sound. When I run either an overdrive or distortion into the amp, the screamin demon with easily go into a high gain meltdown with killer harmonics! Also, if your able to turn up your amp near 10 on the volume, then the pickup will come alive with harmonics and a boost of gain from the power tubes distorting.

Archived