Worried about my SG...

lawnchair

• Members

So I plugged in my SG Special today for the first time in several months and it has a very weird sound now. Its really shrill and has almost no bottom end at all. I even went as far as to crank the bass and turn down the treble on my amp and still got almost nothing but piercing shrillness. Any ideas? Would bad pots or a switch sound like that?

Also, the neck seems weaker than it did. I put a slight amount of pressure on it and it detuned about a half step. I'm going to say thats just because of the flimsy joint on SGs though...

• Members

If the guitar has been put away that long it is very possible that corrosion and dust in the pots could be the problem,both can increase impedance and cause noise and a lack of clear powerful tone.Pickups can also turn microphonic.If you really love the original tone you may want to pull the PUP's and have them re dipped in parafin wax.Good luck either way.

• Members

Dead strings?

I know when I pull a guitar from the case that I have not played in a long while (like a year or so), the sound is very dull/flat/dead. The feel pretty much sucks too. A quick string change fixes things straight away. This is the easiest/cheapest ting to try, so I would start here.

• Members

Get a can of lubricated contact cleaner, give the pots and switch a squirt or two then work them back and forth a few times, repeat if necessary. It's usually just a little oxidation that builds up from lack of use.

You can't lean into an SG like you can other guitars. All it take is a slight effort to move the neck and put it out of tune. Keep yourself aware of that and eventually it becomes automatic that you don't monkey it out of tune while playing.

• Members

Get a can of lubricated contact cleaner, give the pots and switch a squirt or two then work them back and forth a few times, repeat if necessary. It's usually just a little oxidation that builds up from lack of use.

You can't lean into an SG like you can other guitars. All it take is a slight effort to move the neck and put it out of tune. Keep yourself aware of that and eventually it becomes automatic that you don't monkey it out of tune while playing.

When tuning my SG I can see the note change pitch just by resting my hand on the neck, so I agree that they can be very sensetive.

Max

• Members

I would try this. I am guessing it is either a bad jack or a bad switch.

• Members

If its an actual gibson SG and the guitar hasnt been modified in any way, the guitar electronics are pretty failsafe.

If you've had different pups put in then maybe theres an issue with the 3/4 conductor wires shorting out giving you a split coil effect.

Otherwise, i wouldnt suspect the guitar at all. I would suspect a bad guitar cord thats shorted or maybe you have an amp problem.

Archived