Is this trade as stupid as my friends say it is?

Fersnachi

• Members

If you don't want the hassle and delay of waiting to sell your guitar... especially in a "weak" market...

Maybe it's a good deal just because it "makes you happier" to have the tele.

If you don't care about the $'s difference... don't listen to your friends... just do it!

M

• Members

I am not really a Strat player - but I feel underwhelmed with the MIM stuff I have played. Recently I actually did a trade of a Washburn WI18 (plus cash) for a new Gretsch Pro Jet. I got at least as much in trade value as I would have on eBay. I mean I did OK. But don't be surprised if they want you to throw in some cash. Then it becomes weighing out the net of the trade. Would you still want it for your guitar PLUS $100?

Good Luck either way.

• Members

Maybe wait around until you can find a used CV? GC tends to run 6-12 month no interest deals and you can use that on used gear too- could probably pick it up pretty cheap and have several months to get it paid off, - just a thought instead of giving away a strat you really like.

• Members

Put me in the camp that says sell rather than trade. A Fender Strat is still a relatively easy guitar to sell on Craigslist. If you let it go for less than $300 you will probably find a buyer almost right away, and that's a lot more than you're likely to get in trade from any store.

• Members

Put me in the camp that says sell rather than trade. A Fender Strat is still a relatively easy guitar to sell on Craigslist. If you let it go for less than $300 you will probably find a buyer almost right away, and that's a lot more than you're likely to get in trade from any store.

+1

I'd wager $250 would be about right to move it quickly on craigslist. You'd come out ahead vs. trying to trade it at GC.

• Members

The guys are right. You will get hosed on a trade.

They won't make you a straight trade. Main rule of of businesses that deal in used gear is to ALWAYS get cash with the trade, it's what pays the overhead until the guitar sells.

A CV is what? $350. They'll want at least 20% of that in cash ($70).

What is your Strat worth used? $300? They'll offer you HALF of that ($150) to calculate their profit margin.

So, it'll cost you anywhere from $70 to $200 PLUS your Strat to trade in on that CV.

• Members

I would expect GC to give you maybe $150 for the MIM in trade... Maybe less.

Having said that, I'd rather have a CV Strat than a stock MIM Standard Strat. I've had both... I don't have either... definitely enjoyed the CV more. Had a CV Tele and it's gone too... ALL these were bought used.

• Members

The CV teles are fine, but they aren't worth getting rid of a strat you like for. Right now you've got Gas, which means you aren't thinking rationally.

Don't trade your guitar.

Save some cash and buy a CV on ebay -- they're a dime a dozen. By the way, I've owned a CV tele and a MIM ash tele: the Mexican Fender smoked the CV, which was decent but did not have half the balls of the MIM.

Archived