Ozzy vs Iommi Black Sabbath name ownership debacle

• Members

So I heard on the radio this morning that Ozzy and Tony have been in court battling over the ownership of the Black Sabbath name and it was going to be a 50/50 split. Hello? How many years has Ozzy been solo not counting the brief reunion stint in the '90's? 30???

Tony kept Sabbath going with several different vocalists over the years, including Dio, Ian Gillan, et al. and numerous recordings. I say Ozzy should get 20 - 25% based on actual time with the band in their early days, but that's just me...:cop:

• Members

Tony kept Sabbath going with several different vocalists over the years, including Dio, Ian Gillan, et al. and numerous recordings. I say Ozzy should get 20 - 25% based on actual time with the band in their early days, but that's just me...
:cop:

I thought they had that all squared away with the Heaven and Hell stuff and the Sabbath reunion gigs,I guess not.Wouldn't surprise me to find out Mrs Osbourne is the driving force behind the court case.She seems a bit of a money grubber.
Not that it matters much but several of those later albums were never intended to be released as Sabbath albums. According to a few things I've read,it was the record company that insisted on the Sabbath label,without that ,they wouldn't have been released.

• Members

So I heard on the radio this morning that Ozzy and Tony have been in court battling over the ownership of the Black Sabbath name and it was going to be a 50/50 split. Hello? How many years has Ozzy been solo not counting the brief reunion stint in the '90's? 30???

Tony kept Sabbath going with several different vocalists over the years, including Dio, Ian Gillan, et al. and numerous recordings. I say Ozzy should get 20 - 25% based on actual time with the band in their early days, but that's just me...
:cop:

That sounds about right,And Tony Martin was the singer for 4-5 albums I believe. I have them all but cant remember the number.:facepalm:

Ozzy can stick to MTV reality shows.:)

• Members

Fixed for ya:thu:

Watching Ozzy perform life is like watching the guy being propped up in Weekend at Bernie's

Ozzy should get a last meal of cookies and milk, and then face summary execution by pillow smothering.

Long live Sabbath.

SB

• Members

There has never been a Black Sabbath line-up which didn't feature Tony Iommi -- or, to be more precise, which wasn't LED by Tony Iommi. If anyone is the band's auteur, it's him.

• Members

I love Sabbath and I love early Ozzy... but this is L A M E.

It's obvious that Sabbath should be Tony's thing. Ozzy is Ozzy. Tony is Sabbath.

It's things like this that make me glad I don't have millions and it makes me glad I'm not salivating for my next million... and my next NEXT million.

Just seems like a sad waste of energy. :cry:

• Members

Tony does not deserve this, for sure.

Ozzy is wealthy for a score of reasons aside from Sabbath, and Tony Iommi has to take the Sabbath name to backwater clubs and the like, but has never let it die. Ozzy moved on a long time ago, and Tony worked hard to keep things alive.

Ozzy said on his website:

"It is with great regret that I had to resort to legal action against my long term partner, Tony Iommi, but after three years of trying to resolve this issue amicably, I feel I have no other recourse. As of the mid-1990's, after constant and numerous changes in band members, the brand of 'Black Sabbath' was literally in the toilet and Tony Iommi (touring under the name Black Sabbath) was reduced to performing in clubs. Since 1997 when Geezer, Bill and myself rejoined the band, Black Sabbath has returned to its former glory as we headlined sold-out arenas and amphitheatres playing to upwards of 50,000 people at each show around the world. We worked collectively to restore credibility and bring dignity back to the name 'Black Sabbath' which lead [sic] to the band being inducted into the UK and US Rock & Roll Hall of Fames in 2005 and 2006, respectively. Throughout the last 12 years, it was my management representatives who oversaw the marketing and quality control of the 'Black Sabbath' brand through OZZFEST, touring, merchandising and album reissues. The name 'Black Sabbath' now has a worldwide prestige and merchandising value that it would not have had by continuing on the road it was on prior to the 1997 reunion tour. Tony, I am so sorry it's had to get to this point by me having to take this action against you. I don't have the right to speak for Geezer and Bill, but I feel that morally and ethically the trademark should be owned by the four of us equally. I hope that by me taking this first step that it will ultimately end up that way. We've all worked too hard and long in our careers to allow you to sell merchandise that features all our faces, old Black Sabbath album covers and band logos, and then you tell us that you own the copyright. We're all in our 60's now. The Black Sabbath legacy should live on long after we have all gone. Please do the right thing."

I'm not saying that Ozzy has no right to the Sabbath name, but Tony clearly has more of a right than he does.

And really. We just buried Dio. There is no need for metal-head on metal-head violence in the wake of such a tragedy.

• Members

Didn't Ozzy get booted from Sabbath in 1979? How does he have a claim on {censored} from the band anymore? That's like Dave Mustaine going after Metallica even though he was {censored} canned before they released their first record.. Of course, he might have had some contractual voodoo worked on the band during the reunion stuff.. Would be just like that bitch SHARON to sneak it in there..

• Members

Sharon has given the whole Osborn familly a bad name. Greedy coniving horrible person. I wish ozzy would tell her to FO and stop being a ____. Tony and Geezer have more right to the Sabbath name then Ozzys wife can ever hope to even dream about. Ozzy gave up any right to the sabbath name when he left the group. Best he could do is divorce sharon and apologize to the word for his horrible former wifes antics. He be highly applauded for doing so imo.

• Members

Sabbath is always Iommi.
I love the Ozzy era as well as adore the Dio material but without Iommi and too a lesser degree Geezer there is No Sabbath sound.
Without those guitar,bass and drum lines there would be no Ozzy period.
Ozzy is well enough off and his Ozzy gig pays heaps and heaps more that He and sharon just need too quit being so petty.
They(ozzy&bitch face) need too quit being so Butt hurt that Iommi kicked Ozzy out in 78.
I say good he needed it and Damn if that didnt jump start the f'n Empire the guy and his wife enjoy today.
WTF?

Archived