Tell me about G&L Tribute Legacy guitars

m90guy

• Members

I just came across this one, and went all :love::love::love: over it. The specs are freaking awesome on it.

I dont know anything about these but I am GAS'n hard on this guitar. Are the tributes better then MIM fenders? Be honest now! Also want to know if anything really needs to be changed out on these.

688024.jpg

• Members

The G&L fanboys on this board love their guitars better than MIM Fenders. Most of the world buys Fenders over G&L, though, which is no accident.

Either way, I'd say that green strat you're gassing for looks pretty good.

• Members

The G&L fanboys on this board love their guitars better than MIM Fenders. Most of the world buys Fenders over G&L, though, which is no accident.

By that reasoning (sales = product superirority)Fender MIA strats are better than those made by Suhr, Grosh & Anderson and Gibson Les Pauls are better than Giffins:thu: oh yeah and Timex makes better watches than Rolex:)

btw The Tribute is generally a far better guitar than the MIM strat. There are, of course, exceptions and preferences to account for.

• Members

OK so these are made in Indonesia now? Is the hardware decent? Im guessing the tremelo is crap and needs changing out? I cant play it before I buy it, because no one has it locally. Thats what worrys me.

• Members

OK so these are made in Indonesia now? Is the hardware decent? Im guessing the tremelo is crap and needs changing out? I cant play it before I buy it, because no one has it locally. Thats what worrys me.

here is the info from the manufacturer. I am not sure what a Floyd Rose Special tremolo is - they do not list it as a licensed FR though.

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/guitars/Legacy_HB/index.asp

• Members

I personally think that the previous (Korean) tributes were as good or better than the previous (i.e. pre-2006) MIM standards, but that the current (Indonesian) tributes are rather

YMMV...

• Members

In my opinion, fit, finish, hw, and pups on my G&L Tribute Legacy (2008) are superior to my MIM Fender (2004). Can't speak to the humbucker on the Legacy HB since I have a SSS. G&L Tribute neck also feels a bit chunkier than the MIM neck.

• Members

I personally think that the previous (Korean) tributes were as good or better than the previous (i.e. pre-2006) MIM standards, but that the current (Indonesian) tributes are rather

YMMV...

hmm...Thats what I was wondering. I have a couple Indo built guitars, and both are very decent at what they do, but the hardware and electronics were garbage on both. I am hopeful that the Tribute would have decent pickups, and decent electronics. I know the fanboys out there tout these as superior to the MIM's. Anybody own an Indo tribute that would care to chime in.

Looks wise this is one sharp looking guitar. 14" radius neck is to my liking as well. $500ish price tag is great too. I can only get away with $700 or less on a gear purchase right now as the wife, well, you know. :cry:

• Members

In my opinion, fit, finish, hw, and pups on my G&L Tribute Legacy (2008) are superior to my MIM Fender (2004). Can't speak to the humbucker on the Legacy HB since I have a SSS. G&L Tribute neck also feels a bit chunkier than the MIM neck.

Are the pickups still made in Fullerton? Says its got 2 blade HB in the neck and middle, and a overwound Alnico HB in the bridge. Would be really nice if I didnt need to change out pups. Wish I could spend a couple hours with one.

• Members

Being a fanboy has nothing to do with it. Tributes are better guitars than MIM Fenders period. Ive owned several of both so I know. G and Ls have much better quality control and better components. You really dont need to change anything on them unless the MFD pickups arent to your taste. MIM Fender can be nice guitars too but you need to upgrade alot of components. Most people at least swap out the pups on MIM Fenders which adds another $100 - $200 to the cost.

• Members

I've owned a couple of early '00 MIMs and the G&L Tribute Legacy I bought is a few years old and they are both good instruments and good values. Plenty of bang for the buck. My Legacy Tribute is transparent black over ash with SSS but I found a single HB pickguard that fits G&L (since I didn't realize before I bought that G&Ls have proprietary pickguards due to the weird shaped trem cutout). With a Duncan JB-8 (added alnico 8 magnet) in there it is a firebreather!

• Members

Are the pickups still made in Fullerton? Says its got 2 blade HB in the neck and middle, and a overwound Alnico HB in the bridge. Would be really nice if I didnt need to change out pups. Wish I could spend a couple hours with one.

The Alnico V single coils on the Tribute Legacy are Fullerton-made as are the MFDs found on the S-500 and the ASAT. Don't know anything about the humbuckers.

• Members

This is a very poor excuse for an argument (most people buy McDonald's hamburgers over infinitely superior alternatives). I own both Fenders and G&Ls (FAR more Fenders over the years).

As for specific REASONS to prefer G&L Tributes over MIM Fenders, the Tributes use the same pickups as US G&Ls, the Fenders do not (with the exception of some of the Deluxe series, like the Powerhouse).

The G&Ls also have far superior tone controls, treble and bass cut which control all pickup positions.

Archived