Kramer questions

StillRock

• Members

OK, I was looking at this on Sam Ash online. I'm hoping to pull down an explorer style guitar with a 25.5" scale length and a 24 fret neck (I want to run 12 or 13 - 56 strings and tune down to C# or so...) Anyone have experience with Kramer Imperial or Kramer Vanguards? Strange P'ups, but they can always be changed...

:confused:

• Members

As was said in a recent thread, these kinds are probably old stock. There is a new line of all kramer models, you can possibly tell by the new logo. That one has rails and the neck/headstock like the Striker I have. It's good and all, I wouldn't want the explorer shape/weight myself...

• Members

That's alot of guitar for 200.00 bucks. I have the Striker FR422SM that I picked up at Music Yo.com years ago, and I have the maple fretboard/neck option. I have kept the guitar stock, I didn't think it needed anything at all, which is rare for me, I usually mod out most of my guitars. I even liked how it was setup and intonated, it played near perfect out of the box. I changed the strings and it was right in tune. I prefer the maple tone; it's well suited to the pickups on this thing which are F-ing hot! Creamy distortion full open and yet still clean and belltoney at lower/mid gain. The rosewood fretboard will be warmer and fuller sounding, better suited for rythym playing. It will play really easy too as it has an incredible non-buzzing low action which I really dig. {At least mine does anyway, it's like a strat style body with a licensed floyd rose} You might wanna save another hundred and twenty or so and upgrade to a striker, maybe not. Five way switching is great too, for all the possible tones you could use and come up with.
I think if you like that style of body and tailpiece {which I don't personally} your'e good to go. You'll dig the coil tapping too, it's a very effective boost for lead.

• Members

I didn't like that body style either, but after watching Metalocalypse and seeing how many rock and metal guys have embraced the explorer, I tried it out, and it actually gives a good place to rest your arm while playing. It's more comfortable than I would have thought possible. As far as cheap goes, yeah, but money not spent is money saved, right? If someone knows it to be a flaming pile of crap, I don't want it.

• Members

OK... linthat22 and Virgman, you called me out. I went to Sam Ash in Coconut Creek today. They had one (of course they sold it this morning...) but there are 2 siting in their Tampa warehouse. One is en route now thanks to my order and should (fingers crossed... eyes crossed... legs crossed) be here Thursday. I wanted to check it out in store. The last Kramer I played around with was a Pacer in the 80s at Ace Music in Miami... while I was noodling, the guys from Europe came in, and (with little resistance from me) wrestled it from my hands... while they were noodling, the plastic cable jack fell out. That was when it went back on the rack in favor of the Yamaha I'd come to hate for the next several years.

• Members
OK... linthat22 and Virgman, you called me out. I went to Sam Ash in Coconut Creek today. They had one (of course they sold it this morning...) but there are 2 siting in their Tampa warehouse. One is en route now thanks to my order and should (fingers crossed... eyes crossed... legs crossed) be here Thursday. I wanted to check it out in store. The last Kramer I played around with was a Pacer in the 80s at Ace Music in Miami... while I was noodling, the guys from Europe came in, and (with little resistance from me) wrestled it from my hands... while they were noodling, the plastic cable jack fell out. That was when it went back on the rack in favor of the Yamaha I'd come to hate for the next several years.

It's a cool looking guitar. I'll bet you'll like it.

Keep us informed about this.

Quad Rail pickups are Kramer's own hotter pickups.

There are some good reviews on HC for this guitar. Apparently it is a MusicYo brand. They made some pretty decent guitars.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/products/86048

Archived