Crosstown Lightnin' gig report- When Bass amps go bad....

metalheadUK

• Members

Whew...well THAT was a weekend!

The Gig was really good fun, but unfortunately for me, not trouble free.

My borrowed Trace Elliot Bass combo started behaving really strangely during the first set...intermittently cutting out (which is a bugger for timing!) and by the end of the first set was pretty much dead.

The input gain light was still flashing, showing that the amp was getting a signal, but nothing from the speaker apart from the occasional farty note.

Obviously, being a friends amp, I have to get it sorted...I'm hoping that as it's a hybrid, that it may just be the pre amp valve, and that a replacement may sort it....we shall see.

Of course, this meant that for the 2nd set, I was being DI'd straight to the desk...not ideal as I could hardly hear myself onstage, and being only my 2nd gig, I am not as familiar with the material as the other guys.

Another minor problem was that Jo Jo, our resident queen of Funk, hits the drums like John Bonham in a really pissed off mood!

The Bass Drum and mounted toms were moving forward about 3 feet, in spite of our best efforts with the trusty Gaffer tape (Duct tape).

This resulted in me regularly pushing the Bass drum back mid song whilst trying to play, holding it with my foot, and even at one point sitting ON the bass drum to try and keep it immobile!

But amazingly it didn't seem to put too much of a damper on the gig.

The band were in good spirits, and the audience picked up on this and became increasingly enthusiastic throughout the night, even leading leading to genuine calls for an Encore, but time restrictions meant we didn't have time to play it.

Oh well, Next time!

We also did 2 new numbers that I had only ever played for the first time the day before, including a cool version of Canned Heats "On the road again".

I thought the other guys were on fine form...Buffalo Bills amazing harp playing was as satisfying as ever, Charlie pulled out some FAB solos and licks from his CS Jeff Beck Strat and vintage Fender super reverb, and Jo really brought the Funk!

A really enjoyable gig, and both band and an enthusistic audience had a thoroughly good time.

Biggest downer in all honesty is the cost of repairing the amp, and the fact I got a ticket for speeding on the way home...couldn't really argue, as I overtook an unmarked Police car who was chasing someone else for speeding...apparently at that point I was doing over a 100 MPH, and the copper averaged following me at 94 MPH!

I did utilise the opportunity to do something I always wanted, and said to the the cop "all right mate. you've got me bang to rights", but I could have done without the 60 quid fine and 3 points on my licence...oh well...

Heres some pics folks!

DSCF3195.jpg

DSCF3192.jpg

DSCF3188.jpg

DSCF3187.jpg

DSCF3144.jpg

DSCF3182.jpg

DSCF3170.jpg

DSCF3152.jpg

DSCF3146.jpg

DSCF3145.jpg

• Moderators

I did utilise the opportunity to do something I always wanted, and said to the the cop "all right mate. you've got me bang to rights", but I could have done without the 60 quid fine and 3 points on my licence...oh well...

You were lucky to get away with 3 points and 60 quid at that speed

Marc man, I think you possibly rock TOO FAST:eek:

Oh now get your punk butt over to the Sticky jam with a LP:poke:

• Members

You were lucky to get away with 3 points and 60 quid at that speed

Marc man, I think you possibly rock TOO FAST:eek:

Yeah, I know...thats why I didn't argue.

It was a weird situation...driving that speed was the aftermath of a previous incident further back where a guy in a large 4x4 DELIBERATELY tried to take me out at 70 MPH! :eek:

Myself and Jan were seriously freaked out, and I was just trying to put some distance between me and someone who seemed happy to kill us!

:thu:

• Moderators

It was a weird situation...driving that speed was the aftermath of a previous incident further back where a guy in a large 4x4 DELIBERATELY tried to take me out at 70 MPH!
:eek:

Myself and Jan were seriously freaked out, and I was just trying to put some distance between me and someone who seemed happy to kill us!

One day it will be absolutely legal to shoot any {censored} in a 4x4, and believe me, I will be out everyday shooting then:mad:

• Moderators

It was a weird situation...driving that speed was the aftermath of a previous incident further back where a guy in a large 4x4 DELIBERATELY tried to take me out at 70 MPH!
:eek:

One day it will be absolutely legal to shoot any {censored} in a 4x4, and believe me, I will be out everyday shooting then:mad:

Charlton Heston will be campaigning for tougher gun laws when I've finished:mad:

• Members

NOOO...the 12 foot projectile vomiting at the 1st CL rehearsal must be kept a deep dark secret for evermore.......

Hey! The solo I was playing at the time wasn't THAT bad ...

• Members

Great pics. It looks like the drummer has a frozen turkey in that bass drum though. Was she defrosting?

DSCF3182.jpg

Hmmmm ... come to think of it ... what WAS that in JoJo's bass drum?

• Members

An alien brain? :lol:

Seriously, you guys absolutely have to go on a smallish European tour soon. If Gary Moore and Jeff Healy can get booked at Sweden Rock & Roskilde, so can you guys. :thu: Doo it nao!! :mad:;):rawk:

• Members

Hey Marc - how much is a half decent bass amp? I'll chuck in a few quid for a hard-gigging forumite. And when I say "a few", I do mean "a few" (me bought new house so very poor), but every little helps perhaps :D

Great gig review as well. Sod all the technical problems, it's all about having a good time. If you and the crowd do, what's not to like?

Yeah, 'cos that went down really well in Cumbria last week didn't it......

• Members

I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE my Trace Elliot GP12 preamp and I use it at every gig, but it is 20 something years old, and sometimes it does some pretty wierd things so I always have another amp in the rack ready to go at the flip of a switch and plugging two chords in. I havent had to use the emergency stuff much at all, but as much as I LOVE my Trace preamp, I still would never trust it as my one and only preamp live.

Awesome pictures. Hope I can make one of your shows one day. :thu:

SS850442.jpg

• Members

cool, thanks for sharing. glad gig turned out ok despite the technical issues.

always wondered though, what do gigging bands make (on average) over in the UK? ballpark figure is fine. just curious if its the same as here (after currency conversion)

• Members

Well Marc I was going to say "serves you right for borrowing a Trace Elliot" but in light of the pursuit of the psycho, the resulting traffic ticket and CSM outing your indiscretion, I really don't have the heart.:facepalm: Cheer up buddy, we're all laughing with you not at you.....honest.:p

• Members

couldn't really argue, as I overtook an unmarked Police car who was chasing someone else for speeding...apparently at that point I was doing over a 100 MPH, and the copper averaged following me at 94 MPH!

Jammy bugger - I did the exact same thing many years ago on a motorbike (sped up to get away from a nutter in a hot hatch) and got a

Archived