Poor man's bassman

narc86

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

uh... i thought the bassman was a poor man's amp. {censored} the heads go for under 400$ all day every day.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Vintage-Reissue-59-Bassman-LTD?sku=480726

The heads are the ones made for Bass, and are actually solid state. The Bassman itself was made for the bass in the fifties until guitarists used it and found a tone that they loved, and it became a classic.

• Members

The heads are the ones made for Bass, and are actually solid state. The Bassman itself was made for the bass in the fifties until guitarists used it and found a tone that they loved, and it became a classic.

Uh... i build amps for fun... and what you claim is not true.

• Members

Talking about the under $400 ones he was referring to, not the real deal bassman heads.

EXAMPLE

heres one for 300

http://cgi.ebay.com/TUBE-Fender-Bassman-70-Bass-Guitar-Amplifier-Head-Amp-/300434113150?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f344c27e

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-FENDER-BASSMAN-HEAD-SILVER-FACE-/270591003008?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f007b0980

I could do this alll day. Fender bassmans are VERY cheap. All "real deal".

So yeah. :wave:

• Members

heres one for 300

http://cgi.ebay.com/TUBE-Fender-Bassman-70-Bass-Guitar-Amplifier-Head-Amp-/300434113150?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f344c27e

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-FENDER-BASSMAN-HEAD-SILVER-FACE-/270591003008?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f007b0980

So yeah.
:wave:

I'm sure you could do that all day! The rest of us will just have to admit we thought he was referring to the other type. My bad!

• Members

it's based on a 2204 jcm 800

hey so have you blown your power trany yet?

I think that was an issue with the older amps. I have quite a few hours on mine now and have not had a problem. I thought the 2204 jcm 800 is a EL34 tubed amp and not a 6L6? Anyway it is very good value and with a couple tube changes and tweeks your there with a poorman's 59 Bassman vibe

• Members

You can buy any Bassman AND cab for $1000 or less. How cheap is "poor man?"

You want a Blonde or Brownface Bassman? I've seen two go on ebay for $1000 in the few two months, including matching cabs. And eBay prices are almost higher than k and mortar these days.

Blackface Bassman heads can be found $500-600 or so. $800 or less for head and cab.

Silverface heads for significantly less than $500.

Tweed Bassman RI's $500-800.

There is also the Sovtek Mig 50, which is in the Tweed Bassman/JTM-45 circuit. Plus the old tube rectified Traynor YBA-1 (though these have be sluyrocketed in value over the last 10 years).

• Members

I think that was an issue with the older amps. I have quite a few hours on mine now and have not had a problem. I thought the 2204 jcm 800 is a EL34 tubed amp and not a 6L6? Anyway it is very good value and with a couple tube changes and tweeks your there with a poorman's 59 Bassman vibe

Output tube is nothing more than a component selection, not part of the amp design. The voice is in the tone stack. A JCM800 has a totally different preamp design than any Bassman or previous Marshall.

Late '70's and early '80's Marshall shipped with EL34's in the UK, but the American distributor used North American-sourced 6550's in them instead. Cheaper and easy to use a domestic tube than ship the amp with tubes installed. And when new EL34's weren't available AT ALL in the '90's, Marshall used the Sovtek 5881 for everything.

• Members

Output tube is nothing more than a component selection, not part of the amp design. The voice is in the tone stack. A JCM800 has a
totally
different preamp design than any Bassman or previous Marshall.

Late '70's and early '80's Marshall shipped with EL34's in the UK, but the American distributor used North American-sourced 6550's in them instead. Cheaper and easy to use a domestic tube than ship the amp with tubes installed. And when new EL34's weren't available AT ALL in the '90's, Marshall used the Sovtek 5881 for everything.

The output tubes are a big part of the design as the different tube types affect the tone of the amp. The tone stack while being very very important is not the end all be all, you can change the sound of an amp alot by messing with the coupling caps, and the 800 had the same tonestack as the super lead amps did it.

• Members

heres one for 300

So yeah.
:wave:

The lower-watt versions of those heads are killer for guitar - even the silverface ones. They're all hand-wired with great components that beg to be modded. An awful lot of amp for under $500.

My understanding is that the later 70s versions had a different design that didn't sound as good for guitar. And of course since then they've slapped the name on all kinds of crappy stuff.

• Members

I think you were the only one......

Regardless of the output tubes, it does have a jcm 800 pre.

The output tubes are a big part of the design as the different tube types affect the tone of the amp. The tone stack while being very very important is not the end all be all, you can change the sound of an amp alot by messing with the coupling caps, and the 800 had the same tonestack as the super lead amps did it.

I said the JCM preamp was different. Their is more in common between the SLO and JCM than JMP and JCM.

Power tube tone is highly over-rated. I doubt anyone could pick out which Marshall has EL34's, which had 6550's and which has power-beam 6CA7's on a recording. If anything they have a different "feel" for the guitarist but their tone affect is nuanced. Guitarists make a much better deal about this than amp builders do. Even Ken Fischer, who designed down to the slew rate of his wire thought it the emphasis on power tubes was overblown, as long as they were curve corrected right.

• Members

it's based on a 2204 jcm 800

hey so have you blown your power trany yet?

The early models are the ones that had the PT problem. Mine, and many of the other ones you read about on HC are from the last production run and has been running just fine. It's a loud, proud little ass kicker.

Archived