Low fret - Replace or level to it ?

MrChitlins

• Members

I recently did a first pass of fret level/crown on a cheap bass and everything turned out good except i still have a low fret (11th, mostly on the treble side).

My instincts say replace it, but it's not TOO low and I don't have any fret wire.

What would you guys do ?

Fwiw, i'm working with a Stewmac 6" fret file and crowning file.

• Members

Tape the neck off. Mark each of the frets across the top with a sharpie. Use a flat mill file to just level all the frets to the low one. Recrown and finish.

Well, yeah, that's how i got to where I am. I just hate the idea of lowering the adjacent frets more to meet the needs of a single low fret.

• Members

If you replace a single fret you run into a world of problems because you will still have to level that single fret. You would be chasing buzzes for a while. As an alternative perhaps, because most properly leveled guitars have the frets beyond the 12th a little lower, you could relevel from the ninth to the end of the fret board.

• Members

Try lifting it a bit proud (
Higher.
.) then it need be, wick a bit of CA glue under it, level.

this is the correct answer.

why would you lower the whole board to match one low fret?

heat the fret, then pull it up a bit higher than the adjacent frets. BTW, is it low all the way across, or just on one end? this will guide you in terms of where to pull up. We're probably talking lifting the fret no more than a 1/16th ".

with a good straightedge, push down on the fret so it's level with it's neighbors. while holding it in place with the straightedge, run in some superglue under the fret. (this assumes you already waxed down the fretboard before you lifted the low fret).

wait till the CA dries, and then your fret level job will be minimal, just a touch up.

the only disadvantage is that there will be a shadow under the fret crown where it doesn't meet the fretboard. But I'm sure that under the bright spotlights, nobody will notice.:wave:

• Members

this is the correct answer.

(this assumes you already waxed down the fretboard before you lifted the low fret).

wait till the CA dries, and then your fret level job will be minimal, just a touch up.

:wave:

This. Use a paste wax (preferably non-silicone/abrasive type-if it has abrasives, can leave white shit in the board surface..clear KIWI paste shoe polish (wax..) is available @ most grocery stores/WallyWorlds) wax the board on both sides of the fret, and WITHOUT wiping it off carefully wick a drop or two along the edge, both sides (where disposable droppers/capillary tubes come in handy). Should run under fret, and not seep into fingerboard. Good for fast/econo gear, "Back O'the Econoline" repairs.

Anything north of a MIA Fender, new fret...

Archived