How long should an indie album be?

• Members

A music critic friend of mine argues that the 40-45 minute length of old vinyl records is, by sheer fluke, something of a sublime ratio attention-span wise. I think I agree with that; I think all my favourite albums clock in around that sort of length.

• Members

(un)Common knowledge about the recording length of a compact disc:

"The partners aimed at a playing time of 60 minutes with a disc diameter of 100 mm (Sony) or 115 mm (Philips). Sony vice-president Norio ?ga suggested extending the capacity to 74 minutes to accommodate Wilhelm Furtw

• Members

(un)Common knowledge about the recording length of a compact disc:

"The partners aimed at a playing time of 60 minutes with a disc diameter of 100 mm (Sony) or 115 mm (Philips). Sony vice-president Norio ?ga suggested extending the capacity to 74 minutes to accommodate Wilhelm Furtw

• Members

I was convinced by a number of people that know a heckuvalot more about the business than I do that,, people just don't want to invest in Indie artist full length cds..

They'd rather spend that amount on a known artist..

It was suggested to me that I keep it around 6 tracks, below 30 minutes and as affordable as possible:idk:

I kinda like that format.. I believe I'll stick to it;)

• Members

A music critic friend of mine argues that the 40-45 minute length of old vinyl records is, by sheer fluke, something of a sublime ratio attention-span wise. I think I agree with that; I think all my favourite albums clock in around that sort of length.

Ours is damn near 45 min.

• Members

I don't care as much about length as I do about how many songs there are. That's why a 30 minute punk album with 15 songs on it feels like a full album to me, whereas an hour long album with 5 really long songs on it still comes off feeling like an E.P.

My comfort zone is 8 songs. 8 makes me feel like I got my money's worth. 10 is even better, but I would never complain about 8.

Archived