Why do I go through Phases - Carvin, Gibson, and now PRS?

yell03

• Members

It is strange, but I tend to go through phases where I only own or play one Brand of guitar.

I am getting better, but at one point I only had:

Lower end Gibsons - Les Paul, SG, and V specials & fadeds

Then I bought some ESP LTDs, I had 3.

Gibson USAs - Les Pauls and SGs

Then it was my Carvin Phase, I had 3.

Then I went to my Gibson Custom Shop Phase, I had 5, 2 SGs, 2 LPs, & 1 ES339.

Now I am primarily in a PRS phase.

I have 4 PRS Custom 24s, 2 Gibson Custom Shop Les Pauls, and 1 Les Paul Studio.

I find myself wanting to sell my Gibsons and buy more PRSi, but I think I will regret it.

My Custom Shop Les Pauls are far superior to any other Les Pauls I have played. My Les Paul Studio is just a fun guitar to play.

As for my PRS Custom 24s, I have 2 with Wide-Thin Necks & 2 with Standard Necks. One of each neck profile with a 5 way rotary pick-up selector or a 3 way toggle with push/pull coil tap.

They are all fine examples of a PRS Custom 24, but I keep looking for an even better one, but I might be chasing my tail as all mine are great.

Does anybody else do this?

• Members

I think we all go through phases to find what really suits our personality, playing style, etc. I started with a Fender...went through Epis, Ibanezes, Carvins, a Gibson, and some others...to figure out that I really do prefer Fenders. Sure, I have a couple of Epis...and they are great guitars. I just prefer the feel/tone of the Fenders. I've done the same with amps.

If you can afford to buy the stuff...then why not?

• Members

+1
I have 8 Epi LP's out of about 25 guitars, which is just stupid really. Need to thin the herd.

The rest are a mixed lot of Fender, BC Rich, Dean, Samick, Ibanez, Charvel and some other no name garbage brands.

• Members

Decent income and good credit certainly help my puchasing, but....

Even though I can afford to keep them all, I always sell stuff and keep no more than 6-7 guitars on hand at one time.

Right now I really like playing my PRS Custom 24s the best.
As for tone, the neck pick-up tone of my PRS Custom 24s equals or betters my Gibsons, but....

For ballsy hard rock madness, the Les Pauls on the bridge pick-up are tops.
Nothing pulls off pinch harmonics and squeals like my 2007 Les Paul Custom, my Les Paul Studio is pretty good too.

For vintage rock tone, the Les Paul 1960 VOS is sweet, and the 60s neck is comfy.

I just love the double cutaway body and 24 frets of the PRS Custom 24 for the ultimate in comfort and playability.

If I were going to a gig or jam session and could only take one guitar, my PRS Navarro with the Wide-Thin neck profile would win out for sure.

If I could take any two, the VOS and the Navarro.:thu:

• Members

Used to do the same but have settled on MM as my fav brand. I have other but the MM are the ones I go to. Also, after selling guitars I regret letting go, I keep my guitars unless I just don't like them. I figure even if they are getting little playing time, it will save me from having to buy to suppress my gas at a later date. And they look good in the guitar rack.

• Members

Used to do the same but have settled on MM as my fav brand. I have other but the MM are the ones I go to. Also, after selling guitars I regret letting go, I keep my guitars unless I just don't like them.
I figure even if they are getting little playing time, it will save me from having to buy to suppress my gas at a later date.
And they look good in the guitar rack.

That is what I am thinking about the Les Pauls.

For the last 33 years they have been the guitar have considered to be my #1.

I am almost positive if I sell them I will end buying another one or two later.

• Members

I have seen your threads in the past where you are seeking advice about purchasing new guitars and you have owned (and do own) some fantastic guitars. You should try to stay content with the guitars you have for a while. I'm aware that you can afford all of them, but you own four PRS Custom 24s. But do you really need all of them? It appears you like your Navarro model the most, so why not just keep that one and sell the others?

• Members
I have seen your threads in the past where you are seeking advice about purchasing new guitars and you have owned (and do own) some fantastic guitars. You should try to stay content with the guitars you have for a while. I'm aware that you can afford all of them, but you own four PRS Custom 24s. But do you really need all of them? It appears you like your Navarro model the most, so why not just keep that one and sell the others?

And while we're here giving you advice on what you should own, I think you should let me take that ride off of your hands... ;)

• Members

I have never even tried a Hamer:p

I have seen your threads in the past where you are seeking advice about purchasing new guitars and you have owned (and do own) some fantastic guitars.
You should try to stay content with the guitars you have for a while.
I'm aware that you can afford all of them,
but you own four PRS Custom 24s. But do you really need all of them? It appears you like your Navarro model the most, so why not just keep that one and sell the others?

Good points.

As for the 4 PRS Custom 24s....
I think I prefer the Wide-Thin necks, but I am still trying to decide.
Once I do I will sell the two Standard necks and keep the Navarro and the other Wide-Thin neck..
The Navarro is a 3 way toggle with coil taps for 6 positions, the other WT is a 5 position Rotary switch.
All that will be left to get is a Custom 24 with a 5 position Blade switch to have all the bases covered.

As for my Les Pauls, I have a LOVE-HATE relationship with them.

I don't like the thicker necks and poor fret access, but I love the tone.:facepalm:

• Members
I have never even tried a Hamer:p

Good points.

As for the 4 PRS Custom 24s....

I think I prefer the Wide-Thin necks, but I am still trying to decide.

Once I do I will sell the two Standard necks and keep the Navarro and the other Wide-Thin neck..

The Navarro is a 3 way toggle with coil taps for 6 positions, the other WT is a 5 position Rotary switch.

All that will be left to get is a Custom 24 with a 5 position Blade switch to have all the bases covered.

As for my Les Pauls, I have a LOVE-HATE relationship with them.

I don't like the thicker necks and poor fret access, but I love the tone.
:facepalm:

I wish you could find the standard necks a little more easily, and on more models. That's a really comfortable neck shape for me, but tough to find in the used market.

• Members
I wish you could find the standard necks a little more easily, and on more models. That's a really comfortable neck shape for me, but tough to find in the used market.

If you want one or two, if I decide I prefer Wide-Thin,
I have two of the most beautiful Custom 24s you will ever see with Standard necks.

2005 Tortoise Shell 20th anniversary with birds and a 2006 Red 10 top with birds.:thu:

Archived