Why No Johnny Thunders Signature Guitar?

• Members

Interesting stuff in this thread. I'd always heard of Johnny Thunders, but never actually heard him, thanks for the videos and the biograpohical data, AT.

The first time I heard of Johnny Thunder was from a 1968 Bob Dylan interview with Rolling Stone. Dylan was asked,

RS: Is there anything happeneing on the current rock and roll scene that strikes you as good?

Dylan: Yeah, I heard a record by Johnny Thunder. It's called "I'm Alive." Never heard it either, huh? Well, I can't believe it. Everyone I've talked to, I've asked them if they've heard that record.

RS: Is it on the radio right now?

Dylan: I don't know. I heard it on the radio a month ago, two months ago . . . three months ago. It was one of the most powerful records
I've

ever heard. It's called "I'm Alive." By Johnny Thunder. Well, it was that sentiment, truly expressed. That's the most I can say . . . if you heard the record, you'd know what I mean. But that's about all . . .

I wonder if Dylan's "Johnny Thunder" is the same as the New York Dolls' Johnny Thunders. Anybody else heard that song, "I'm Alive"? Mystery....:idea:

• Members

Interesting stuff in this thread. I'd always heard of Johnny Thunders, but never actually heard him, thanks for the videos and the biograpohical data, AT.

The first time I heard of Johnny Thunder was from a 1968 Bob Dylan interview with Rolling Stone. Dylan was asked,

I wonder if Dylan's "Johnny Thunder" is the same as the New York Dolls' Johnny Thunders. Anybody else heard that song, "I'm Alive"? Mystery....
:idea:

Slightly different....

[YOUTUBE]SJ_wzLVhJSs[/YOUTUBE]

• Thanks 1

• 10 years later...
  • Members

I think Johnny was just to real and rock and roll for Gibson. My buddy Danny is Johnnys nephew and he sells replicas of his uncle Johnnys guitars both the Virgin Mary junior and the Chinese rocks version. Then again Johnny was just a hard rockin roller, but who knows Mike Ness has had pretty messed up past and he is getting his very own signature. I’m sure it’s cause he’s had hits and “greater songs.” We can olny have hopes at this moment for a signature Heartbreaker guitar. Also I’m pretty sure Gibson would have to check with Danny since he is Johnny’s nephew and owns the official thunders merchandise website. And honestly knowing Danny he probably wouldn’t let them do it. He’s always told me he doesn’t want to make it seem like him or his uncle are sellouts. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well, since I first posted in this thread, back on June 12, 2010, I’ve gotten into Johnny Thunders. I’ve gotten a few of his albums on vinyl, including So Alone (a solo album) and Heartbreakers Live at Max’s Kansas City, Volumes 1 & 2. I also have L.A.M.F. The Lost ‘77 Mixes on CD.

All good stuff, he was a good guitar player, R.I.P.  :(

• 1 year later...
  • Members
On 6/16/2020 at 1:14 AM, Sickboy82 said:

I think Johnny was just to real and rock and roll for Gibson. My buddy Danny is Johnnys nephew and he sells replicas of his uncle Johnnys guitars both the Virgin Mary junior and the Chinese rocks version. Then again Johnny was just a hard rockin roller, but who knows Mike Ness has had pretty messed up past and he is getting his very own signature. I’m sure it’s cause he’s had hits and “greater songs.” We can olny have hopes at this moment for a signature Heartbreaker guitar. Also I’m pretty sure Gibson would have to check with Danny since he is Johnny’s nephew and owns the official thunders merchandise website. And honestly knowing Danny he probably wouldn’t let them do it. He’s always told me he doesn’t want to make it seem like him or his uncle are sellouts. 

Do you know where these replicas are sold? Been looking at getting a JT inspired guitar and would be very interested in this.