Guitar setup and fret buzz issues

mintyice

• Members

I got my new guitar last week (Xaviere xv-820 Dark Ash, awesome guitar by the way), and the same day I got it set up at my local sam ash. I got DR tite fit 10s put on, and everything was fine. The tech did point out that one of my frets (9th, I think) is higher than the others and could be sanded. I choose to ignore the problem because I think it was liveable. He said it only buzzes when you play hard on it, which is true.

Well the day I got it set up (keep in mind it was hot/humid that day), it was awesome. Played beautifully except for the buzz on that fret. However, the new day, I was getting buzz everywhere (2-5 frets on EADGB and still on the 9th E), so I took it back to sam ash that monday, the tech said that yeah the neck definitely moved so he adjusted the trussrod again and it was back to normal (still with 9th fret buzz).

Well now it seems to have moved again and I'm getting buzz in a lot more places (all below the 9th fret). Can trussrod and string height adjustment fix this problem, or should I just bite the bullet and spend $40 on top of the $70 from the first set up? The guitar was only $189 and it seems ridiculous to pay more than half of that to get the thing playing properly. Is there something I can do without bring it to the tech that can fix it? The problem is so annoying that I spend more time trying to find where the buzz is than actually playing guitar.

• Members

Did you just say that you paid someone 70$ to adjust the trussrod? :cry:

A guitar will shift so often in some regions (Canadaland!!!! FTW) that you MUST know how to set it up yourself quickly. String height and neck relief go hand in hand

Some guys here will give you the right links to learn this stuff properly.

• Members

In your situation, I would loosen the truss rod a little bit and lower the strings slightly. You might be able to keep the same action and playability without the buzz.

One thing though, does the buzz stop the note from ringing? Solidbodies buzz a little with low action, it is normal. Try it plugged in to be sure.

• Members

It was $60 for a full set up (restring, trussrod, intonation, all of which have moved btw.) $6 for string, then tax. : so yeah around $70. What a rip.

I bought a pedal from a guy who just had his nice Schecter "adjusted" for 70$ as well. The guy is trying to learn properly and he thinks he's bad because the guitar is unplayable. ZERO fretbuzz, but only because the strings are

• Members

Yeah, but even with that adjustment I doubt it would get rid of the serious fretbuzz I have on the 9th fret. The other buzzes can be fixed with the adjustment, but I think the 9th fret is just set to high and is uneven to the rest of them in which case it seems like sanding is the only real want to get it right. Would raising the E and A strings fix anything? That's where the buzz is most apparent.

• Members
Yeah, but even with that adjustment I doubt it would get rid of the serious fretbuzz I have on the 9th fret. The other buzzes can be fixed with the adjustment, but I think the 9th fret is just set to high and is uneven to the rest of them in which case it seems like sanding is the only real want to get it right. Would raising the E and A strings fix anything? That's where the buzz is most apparent.

Damn, the whole fret? I think they can be soft-hammered in place. :idk:

• Members
I can't tell if you are being sarcastic, but I'm seriously debating taking a rubber mallet to it right now.

I think that's how they do it sometimes to push it back in place, but you must support the neck adequately. :idk:

Don't break anything without the advice of experts!!!!

• Members

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic, but I'm seriously debating taking a rubber mallet to it right now.

If it is truly a high fret then it can be tapped down with a hammer. First take a credit card (or other hard plastic card) that's in good shape and use it as a fret rocker. Use one edge of the card to span 3 frets at a time and see if it rocks....if so then either the middle fret is high or one on either side is low. Doing this aroud the 9th fret area should reveal where the probelm lies.

6-7-8 = non rock, 7-8-9 = no rock, 8-9-10 = ROCK, 9-10-11 = no rock, 10-11-12 no rock.......then there's no doubt the 9th is high. You also need to check across the fretboard as well as the 9th might only be high on the bass side and perfectly level on the treble side.

Doing this will be very revealing as to how level your entire fretboard is. Don't be shocked if you've got a little 'rock' in a LOT of places as this will be the case for just about any guitar at this price range. You'll most likely be just fine with them....just look for the big 'rocks'.

If you need to tap down the fret, take your time and measure OFTEN. Give it a rather soft quick strike and check with the credit card....repeat until level (you might find you need more force to get it to fully seat).

• Members

If it is truly a high fret then it can be tapped down with a hammer. First take a credit card (or other hard plastic card) that's in good shape and use it as a fret rocker. Use one edge of the card to span 3 frets at a time and see if it rocks....if so then either the middle fret is high or one on either side is low. Doing this aroud the 9th fret area should reveal where the probelm lies.

6-7-8 = non rock, 7-8-9 = no rock, 8-9-10 = ROCK, 9-10-11 = no rock, 10-11-12 no rock.......then there's no doubt the 9th is high. You also need to check across the fretboard as well as the 9th might only be high on the bass side and perfectly level on the treble side.

Doing this will be very revealing as to how level your entire fretboard is. Don't be shocked if you've got a little 'rock' in a LOT of places as this will be the case for just about any guitar at this price range. You'll most likely be just fine with them....just look for the big 'rocks'.

If you need to tap down the fret, take your time and measure OFTEN. Give it a rather soft quick strike and check with the credit card....repeat until level (you might find you need more force to get it to fully seat).

My tech did this rock test and that's how he told me the one fret was set too high.

• Members

I got my new guitar last week (Xaviere xv-820 Dark Ash, awesome guitar by the way), and the same day I got it set up at my local sam ash. I got DR tite fit 10s put on, and everything was fine. The tech did point out that one of my frets (9th, I think) is higher than the others and could be sanded. I choose to ignore the problem because I think it was liveable. He said it only buzzes when you play hard on it, which is true.

Well the day I got it set up (keep in mind it was hot/humid that day), it was awesome. Played beautifully except for the buzz on that fret. However, the new day, I was getting buzz everywhere (2-5 frets on EADGB and still on the 9th E), so I took it back to sam ash that monday, the tech said that yeah the neck definitely moved so he adjusted the trussrod again and it was back to normal (still with 9th fret buzz).

Well now it seems to have moved again and I'm getting buzz in a lot more places (all below the 9th fret). Can trussrod and string height adjustment fix this problem, or should I just bite the bullet and spend $40 on top of the $70 from the first set up? The guitar was only $189 and it seems ridiculous to pay more than half of that to get the thing playing properly. Is there something I can do without bring it to the tech that can fix it? The problem is so annoying that I spend more time trying to find where the buzz is than actually playing guitar.

GET YOUR GUITAR "PLEKED": http://www.plek.com/

• Members

looks like i got a dud then?

Nah. A cheap neck will usually need a little while to settle - the last cheapie I had took a few weeks - and high frets are pretty common at the pricepoint. You could send it back, but after spending $50 for the original setup, I question whether it'd be worth it. If you're feeling motivated, whack the fret with a brass hammer and see if that helps, or grab a flat file and file the fret yourself. Clean it up with some super light sandpaper or steel wool.

• Members

Nah. A cheap neck will usually need a little while to settle - the last cheapie I had took a few weeks - and high frets are pretty common at the pricepoint. You could send it back, but after spending $50 for the original setup, I question whether it'd be worth it. If you're feeling motivated, whack the fret with a brass hammer and see if that helps, or grab a flat file and file the fret yourself. Clean it up with some super light sandpaper or steel wool.

Yeah, I may just wait on it for a while.

• Members

Send it back. Get a note from your tech that it has neck setup issues.

My XV-820 has low action and never had a buzz ever, right out of the box.

Yeah, sounds like maybe the wood might not have cured enough. I can see a setup changing with the seasons but not from day to day.

Send it back. They should be able to exchange it for one that has no issues.

Archived