What constitutes "cheapie" ?

BryanMichael

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But is it still a "cheapie" if you sink $200 of mods and upgrades into it?

Yes, just a modded cheapie. Your mods don't really add to the value of the guitar, just the playability. Wood quality, initial care spent on the manufacturing process, finishing, and appointments all add up in a well done guitar, and typical aren't things a cheapie has.

You can fix some things, but there are stuff that just wont be able to be changed in a cheap guitar that a nicer guitar will have.

That said, the question should be whether or not the difference are worth the difference in price. I think once you get into the 300-400 dollar range, you start entering a 'mid-price' level up to about 800-1,000 dollars. There will be some overlaps as far as price/quality are concerned, but to me, that's what the 'tiers' are.

• Members

Depends entirely on what you can afford. I'd say anything under $250 is a cheapie, but I've gotten a handful of guitars in the $350 to $450 range that are very solid.

Well I can afford to buy more than a few guitars in the $5000 range but that doesn't mean I don't consider anything beyond $500ish to be out of the cheapie range.

• Members

Well I can afford to buy more than a few guitars in the $5000 range but that doesn't mean I don't consider anything beyond $500ish to be out of the cheapie range.

what guitars did you buy in the $5000 range? pics?

• Members

Depends a lot on who you are. Honestly, I tend to sort by brand names and product lines.

Squier - cheap

MIM Fender - Middle

USA Fender - High End

It all depends on the guitar so that is just a general guideline. Many will tell you a Squier CV beats an MIM. Many will tell you a MIM Baja Tele will beat a USA standard. I guess what I'm saying is....Who the {censored} knows what a cheapie is?

I have an Electra X810 MPC 335 style that was a cheapie in the 80's (bought it for $140) and I bet I could get a grand for it now. Guitar didn't change, just perception.

I'd say it's about construction more than anything...but to many it's about price. (Cheap does imply price and to a lesser degree quality.) Any $100 SX has a three piece alder body and a nice maple neck...not cheapie, but it has low-end hardware and electronics...cheapie. But the guitar still was only $100....now that's cheap for a decent, playable guitar. I had a Basswood Japanese Fender Standard Stratocaster, and it just was pretty much junk. Nice neck, but everything else was sub-par. That guitar wasn't very cheap...not a cheapie, but it felt like a cheapie....so, I don't know what to tell you. It's all in the mind anyway.

Depends entirely on your expectations.

• Members

what guitars did you buy in the $5000 range? pics?

None. Just because I can afford it doesn't mean I am going to (that was kinda my point). My most expensive guitar at the moment is $500. I am eyeing up a Gibson Les Paul but will probably go the cheap route there (used worn studio).

I put, some of, my money into an investment property instead. I wanted a more expensive car as well but settled for something less expensive so I would have more money to spend on other things. A lot of people live by the spend what you make motto, I prefer the invest what you can so that you have more to spend later. YMMV.

P.S. This Friday I am flying 2500 miles to look at more properties so I don't see a $1500 let alone $5000 guitar in my near future. Some day......

• Members

I considered my $777 CDN Yamaha AES620 a 'cheapie', though I guess I have different standards. Maybe at best a higher end cheapie.

But looking back, I agree. Anything between $250-$500 I would consider a genuine cheapie. Mods don't change anything.

• Members

For me, a "cheapie" isn't defined by the cost. For me, it's more about the country of origin. For me, anything out of China is a cheapie. Regardless of price, if it's Chinese, it's a cheapie, followed really closely by Korea..

• Members

None. Just because I can afford it doesn't mean I am going to (that was kinda my point). My most expensive guitar at the moment is $500. I am eyeing up a Gibson Les Paul but will probably go the cheap route there (used worn studio).

Just as a tip, I could have sworn Gibson released a 50's tribute Les Paul studio, in an assortment of finishes (including goldtop) for under $1,000 new. Like, $700-800 for a USA gibson.

I think they were limited numbers though.

*edit* Amazon.com still has the white and Ebony ones for $850.

• Members

For me, a "cheapie" isn't defined by the cost. For me, it's more about the country of origin. For me, anything out of China is a cheapie. Regardless of price, if it's Chinese, it's a cheapie, followed really closely by Korea..

That's a very skewed view of things. So basically if a US Master build relocates his shop to China and still builds his guitar in the exact same manner, with the same materials, that guitar is now considered a cheapie? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

The Chinese are perfectly capable of producing a fine guitar, its just that most companies only want them to produce cheapies. Most people would be skeptical of a top notch Chinese built guit even if it was better than its American counterpart. I doubt it would appeal to the segment of the market it meant to capture

• Members

I don't expect you to accept my definition, nor do I care if you do or not.. And yes, if a US builder moves operations to China, they go to absolute {censored} in my book. It's a political thing, so don't try to argue with me over it.

• Members
The Chinese are perfectly capable of producing a fine guitar, its just that most companies only want them to produce cheapies. Most people would be skeptical of a top notch Chinese built guit even if it was better than its American counterpart. I doubt it would appeal to the segment of the market it meant to capture

+1 My CV50's is proof of that and I have Gibby Les Paul, SG, yadda yadda...

• Members

Just as a tip, I could have sworn Gibson released a 50's tribute Les Paul studio, in an assortment of finishes (including goldtop) for under $1,000 new. Like, $700-800 for a USA gibson.

I think they were limited numbers though.

*edit* Amazon.com still has the white and Ebony ones for $850.

They did have the Raw Power Goldtop one going for around $1100 but no binding and no trap inlays.... so I cheaped out with the Epi '56 reissue gold top.

• Members

Depends a lot on who you are. Honestly, I tend to sort by brand names and product lines.

Squier - cheap

MIM Fender - Middle

USA Fender - High End

To me:

Up to MIM Fender - cheap

Highway One to American Standard - midrange

American Deluxe to Custom Shop - high end

Anything that needs a pickup swap right away is a cheapie (I mean, really needs it - if it's just a matter of taste, it's midrange).

• Members

By definition, everything I own is a cheapie.

If you look up "cheapskate" in the dictionary you'll see my picture.

My current favorite gigging guitar is my $99 Dean Vendetta XM. It's the one I'm playing in my avatar.

• Members

Yeah... I'm looking for the right "cheapie" now. It's something in the sub-$400 range (it used to be in the sub $250 range). A cheapie is the guitar you can buy without thinking too much about it, and you can hang on to through the buyers' remorse. I've bought several guitars that I couldn't hang on to through the return policy period because I thought about them too much, including a '99 Am Standard Strat and a '00 sparkle blue MIM strat.

Archived