Which pickups should I get for my Les Paul copy?

fuzztone

• Members

talk about opening up a can of worms, fuzztone...

...with all of the pickup choices available, it's easier to recommend something if you can tell us what you wnt out of it...do you want classic les paul tones? something with some top end bite? how about a full on distortion monster? do you like a big, round tone, or something a little sharper?

do you play metal, or classic rock? blues or country?

etc etc etc...

• Members

Hey,

I also HAVE a set of 57' classics I would part with for a reasonable price. The 57+ is almost like new (never installed) with the hard plastic Gibson case and unsoldered lead- it has some "scuffing" on the face of it though (it's a nickel covered model) I got it used, but never installed it and the previous owner never installed it either.

I also have what I have been told is a 57 classic VOS neck pickup with a gorgeous slightly aged nickel cover and cream mounting ring. I got it used from a luthier that said it came from the Gibson custom shop, but it has no "PAF" sticker on the back- it looks like it came off at some point.

Anyway, I also have a brand new set that came out of my Epiphone Les Paul standard. I took them out RIGHT AWAY and installed others, but they sounded wayyyy better than I thought they would. I think these are the newer versions that aren't as bad as the one's from previous years.

Let me know if any of that interests you.

-B

• Members

Hey,

I also HAVE a set of 57' classics I would part with for a reasonable price. The 57+ is almost like new (never installed) with the hard plastic Gibson case and unsoldered lead- it has some "scuffing" on the face of it though (it's a nickel covered model) I got it used, but never installed it and the previous owner never installed it either.

I also have what I have been told is a 57 classic VOS neck pickup with a gorgeous slightly aged nickel cover and cream mounting ring. I got it used from a luthier that said it came from the Gibson custom shop, but it has no "PAF" sticker on the back- it looks like it came off at some point.

Anyway, I also have a brand new set that came out of my Epiphone Les Paul standard. I took them out RIGHT AWAY and installed others, but they sounded wayyyy better than I thought they would. I think these are the newer versions that aren't as bad as the one's from previous years.

Let me know if any of that interests you.

-B

Thanks,Only thing is,I need gold covers. Are the '57s wax potted?

• Members

I love the Seymour Duncan Jazz (don't be fooled by the name) in the neck and '59 in the Bridge. Very good combination for those classic Les Paul tones
:)

You know,I may do that combo because they have those at my friends store and I can get a good deal there.

• Members

once again, what do you want for tones?? You shouldn't expect an answer w/o giving us a clue. That said, Bryan has some choices that would be killer.

I want it to sound like the one on the right(2006 Les Paul Custom)That one has a brighter yet sweet sounding bridge pickup and warmer but more focused neck pickup. I do not have that guitar anymore so I am going by memory.I realize they are different guitars and the Gibson has an ebony fretboard that gives it a brighter sound,but I would like to get a sound close to it.

100_9185-1.jpg100_8669-1.jpg

• Members

- What's your budget?

- What kind of music are you hoping to play on it?

I'd suggest the Duncan Alnico II (warmer than the 59) and the JB in the bridge (does clean and high gain really well, and will brighten your Samick).

But I'd also join those who say you should get in touch with Bryan at BG Pickups and telling him what you're looking for. Last I checked, he offers a nice forum discount for HC members.

• Members
I want it to sound like the one on the right(2006 Les Paul Custom)That one has a brighter yet sweet sounding bridge pickup and warmer but more focused neck pickup. I do not have that guitar anymore so I am going by memory.I realize they are different guitars and the Gibson has an ebony fretboard that gives it a brighter sound,but I would like to get a sound close to it.

100_9185-1.jpg100_8669-1.jpg

For those tones I really like an Alnico Pro II in the neck and a Pearly Gates in the bridge.

Archived