Well, I finally started building my "Wreck"

PlinytheWelder

• Members

Instead of trimming the pots, why not add another washer on the inside of the chassis?

i could be wrong....but i think what he means is that the "beaks" of the knobs hit each other when the knobs are turned toward each other.....

• Members
I was referring to this line:

But I could be completely wrong.

I love the look of the chickenheads though. It's a bummer that they may not work.

oh...sorry....i thought you were referring to the "knobs interfere" part :wave:

• Members

What does the silly double pot on the far right do? With the small board on it?

If you are referring to the green board, that is a VVR or Variable Voltage Regulator. It basically lets you adjust the voltage going to the power tube(s). You can get a lot of power tube breakup at lower volumes, similar to an attenuator.

I use a VVR from Hall Electronics as well. It is pretty slick and fairly inexpensive.

• Members

If you are referring to the green board, that is a VVR or Variable Voltage Regulator. It basically lets you adjust the voltage going to the power tube(s). You can get a lot of power tube breakup at lower volumes, similar to an attenuator.

I use a VVR from Hall Electronics as well. It is pretty slick and fairly inexpensive.

Interesting.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

It's done...

It has VVR power scaling and a LarMar PPIMV and sounds great... I don't have any way to put up clips and I'm better at soldering than playing anyway, but these amps are really something special. Super touch sensitive and LOUD!

Now, I need to make a cabinet....

TW17.jpg

TW18.jpg

• Members
It's done...

It has VVR power scaling and a LarMar PPIMV and sounds great... I don't have any way to put up clips and I'm better at soldering than playing anyway, but these amps are really something special. Super touch sensitive and LOUD!

Now, I need to make a cabinet....

TW17.jpg

Personally, I like THESE knobs MUCH better than the chicken Knobs :thu:

And, what's "a LarMar PPIMV" and what's it do? Inquiring minds want to know!

• Members

Personally, I like THESE knobs MUCH better than the chicken Knobs
:thu:

And, what's "a LarMar PPIMV" and what's it do? Inquiring minds want to know!

It's the most transparent Master Volume that I've found so far. There's an 80 page thread about it here:http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4390

And I like these knobs, too!

• Members

Looks like a decidedly easy build
:D

Edit: I thought that the trainwrecks had EL84's?
:idk:

It's a simple circuit, but if you don't get it right it will runaway and oscillate and squeal. Each wire has to be just right. It violates a lot of rules by taking out grid stoppers and voltage dividers that other amps have to slam each stage as hard as possible.

Fun stuff...

TW Rockets and Liverpools use EL84's. An Express like this can use EL34's, 6V6's, and more.

Archived