How many of you do your mods/repair/maintenance?

mightysasquatch

• Members

I do all of my own work and have built a few. I'm also side lining as a guitar tech. WRG is very correct when it comes to learning fret work. Get some cheap necks that you wouldn't mind throwing in the fireplace if you fup. And get the right tools.
Look at it this way. The best luthiers and techs weren't born with the ability to work on stringed instruments.
I also don't charge nearly as much as the music stores. And it's a sideline. Yes, the xtra $$ is nice, but I never plan on it being my sole source of income.

• Members

Do it all. Have the benefit that a couple of luthiers took me under wing. While many tools can be made that are as good or better than what you can buy, some specialty tools just cannot be gotten around easily, though they can be gotten around. The tools I felt I had to buy were nut files and crowning files. I am learning to crown the old way with a ground triangular and a cantsaw file.

• Members

Stewart Mcdonald is the cat's ass for me. I spend big amount of money there to get the right tool. Just to make a new nut for my strat im about at 300$ Can. Expensive yes, but in my place nobody can do that work. But the nut I did for it is just about perfect.

I equipped myself to do complet refret some years ago. I can do pro-work. Way better job than factory. I get great satisfaction from it.

Mush

• Members

The last time I tried to to any techie work was to my tele. I ripped out the pickups, f'ed up the switch when I scorched the board on it, bought a new switch, realized I didn't know enough to install push / pull pots for coil tapping, bought the wrong tone caps. My cat jumped on the table every time I brought out the soldiering iron and I would scream at it. It only took me a few days to realize I was yelling at myself, not the cat. I'm almost over it enough to get into replacing my Les Paul pickups.

• Members

I'm useless. I can just about set up a guitar, but anything major - strat trems, fret-filing, nut-cutting I get a tech to do.

I know my local tech through local jam sessions - if you take your guitar to the store they charge three times as much but it's the same guy who does it anyway!

• Members

I am still learning, and apply the knowledge I have acquired from books and Youtube, as well as here. I have done intonation and bridge adjustment on my MIM Strat, but I want to have it done right one time from a pro, just so I can see and hear it setup properly. DC, what would you charge for a standard setup on a Strat?

• Members

One of the problems with people is they think everything should just be handed to them. Guitar repair takes at the least skill and depending what you want done it is an art. It seems people have forgotten the old saying and I am paraphrasing here. The thrill of a low price is soon replaced by the disappointment of piss poor performance.

• Members

I'm looking into auditing an intro to electronics course at the community college so I can learn to fix all my broken down {censored} that I can't afford to pay to be fixed.

This book is absolutely fantastic for learning to do electronics work. I used it in one of my physics classes and it still has a dedicated spot on my book shelf. Of all the books I used in college its the one that gets the most use still.

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Electronics-Paul-Horowitz/dp/0521370957

Archived