Got new fret wire in (Jumbo lovers come in)

atrox

• Members

I' ld worry about intonation they're just to wide and upper frets forget it.

Considering how wide the contact area of a properly crowned fret is, chances of this wide stuff screwing up the intonation are very severe. The frets will have to be triangular almost to make sure the intonation is accurate. It might work properly on day 1, but you give that a year and any wear, no way it'll hold very well.. So this product not only looks stupid but it also will probably lead to technical problems with the guitar. Yeah, a real winner! Neat for the novelty (kind of like Truck Balls) but essentially useless.

I could see extra tall (within reasons, of course) jumbo wire being cool for the same reasons a scalloped fretboard is cool.. That might be worth trying..

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Actually, I just thought of a cool use for this fat wire.. What if you did a scalloped neck, and then topped the scallop with a fret shaped to follow the wood? So it would be more like the original lute "frets", except topped with fretwire.. Could look pretty cool if you did it right.

• Members

Actually, I just thought of a cool use for this fat wire.. What if you did a scalloped neck, and then topped the scallop with a fret shaped to follow the wood? So it would be more like the original lute "frets", except topped with fretwire.. Could look pretty cool if you did it right.

Sweet idea!!!

• Members

Sweet idea!!!

I'd only want it if it was done with SS wire though. That much custom shaping wouldn't be something I'd want to wear down. No matter how thick this wire is, it's still gonna wear just like the little ones..

• Members

Considering how wide the contact area of a properly crowned fret is, chances of this wide stuff screwing up the intonation are very severe. The frets will have to be triangular almost to make sure the intonation is accurate. It might work properly on day 1, but you give that a year and any wear, no way it'll hold very well.. So this product not only looks stupid but it also will probably lead to technical problems with the guitar. Yeah, a real winner! Neat for the novelty (kind of like Truck Balls) but essentially useless.

I could see extra tall (within reasons, of course) jumbo wire being cool for the same reasons a scalloped fretboard is cool.. That might be worth trying..

Well, you shouldn't have much contact on a properly crowned wire. You are right about wear, but only time will tell. I'll agree that this is pretty much a novelty, but I certainly was not expecting it to be this big.

That said, there is a demand for it I obviously. Also, It's pretty hard stuff, so it should last a while, but I can always do levels on it if wear becomes an issue. I decided pretty quickly that I certainly will not be using this stuff.

• Members

after reading the first few posts i kinda thought this was an elaborate troll thread, but he kept on going.. i am looking forward to seeing this client's end result.. it will have bling... like 3x more metal on the neck..

I don't troll man. I was just as surprised as ya'll are when this stuff came in. I had a client in that loves scalloped boards and he was even laughing at it.

Here is the link to the stuff

http://www.allparts.com/Jumbo-Fret-Wire-p/lt-0877-000.htm

• Members

I guessing with such thick fretwire you better pre-radius it almost perfectly.....just a hair tighter radius than the fretboards. I would try and do as much as possible with power tools prior to installing: use a chop saw to cut the stuff as close to size as possible, rough out the bevels on a grinder, etc... Once intalled you would only have minimal work left to do with files.

• Members

I guessing with such thick fretwire you better pre-radius it almost perfectly.....just a hair tighter radius than the fretboards. I would try and do as much as possible with power tools prior to installing: use a chop saw to cut the stuff as close to size as possible, rough out the bevels on a grinder, etc... Once intalled you would only have minimal work left to do with files.

Yup, I try to radius my wire just slightly over radiused no matter what size. I figured out a good way to cut the wire already. As far as crowning and beveling, just my good old normal files work fine on it. Cutting is the only real issue.

Also, the stuff is so big and heavy, that gluing in is necessary. I don't normally glue frets in (because it makes refretting again a pain and it's just not typically needed) unless a board has been re-freteed a couple times already. It's just usually necessary. With this stuff, it's 100% necessary.

• Members

Also, I bet this wire will look absolutely killer with 'bullet' shaped fret ends. I do it to all my fret ends now and it looks and feels great....esp with jumbo wire.

Interesting. I love the bullet ends (have a test neck with them to show clients as an option), but find most clients do not.

Archived