Got new fret wire in (Jumbo lovers come in)

atrox

• Members

I get a lot of requests for big fret-wire in my shop. I went ahead and tried Allparts new giant fret wire, thinking it would not amount to anything too crazy...

Holy crap! Some of my clients are going to be very happy they won't have to get their necks scalloped! This stuff is giant.

4.33mm (.170") wide x 2.59mm (.102") tall

Next to Gibson fret wire

bigfret.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's pretty crazy. I was considering using it on one of my guitars.... until it came in. It's too big for my tastes. But I have clients who will love it. It would be great for bass builds too

• Members

I've got Dunlop .118"x.058" in all my necks & thought that's pretty big...4.33mm=something in the neighborhood of .170" if my calculations are correct.

I also keep .110"x.055" in stock & it turns out to be the most popular for those who I've done refrets for.

• Members

I've got Dunlop .118"x.058" in all my necks & thought that's pretty big...4.33mm=something in the neighborhood of .170" if my calculations are correct.

I also keep .110"x.055" in stock & it turns out to be the most popular for those who I've done refrets for.

I stock a bunch of different stuff. I'm content with any fret size personally. I can do vintage just as much as I can do jumbo. this may be a bit much, but I can't wait to try it

• Members

I stock a bunch of different stuff. I'm content with any fret size personally. I can do vintage just as much as I can do jumbo. this may be a bit much, but I can't wait to try it

My son use to swear by the vintage style frets until he played several of mine for a while.

It helped me to play with a softer touch...when I first started using it, I would pull my notes slightly sharp with the death grip I unknowingly played with previously.

• Members

It took me years to work this out, but I really don't get along with the low profile Fender vintage style at all. After years of thinking it was nonsense, I think I'd like to try out a scalloped fretboard.

I didn't think I'd mesh well with vintage either, until I got my Custom Shop Gilmour Strat. That thing plays like butter and I get along with it;s radius and fret size just fine. I was surprised.

Scalloped necks are fun to play IMO. I play with such a light touch, that I just glide along them. I think this wire would give me the same sensation, but I wanna try it on a clients guitar first before refretting another one of my own

Archived