What Gibson is this? Or is it a fake?

Sheraton

• Members

Looks like a copy of a Gibson Les Paul special. I say copy as the LP special typically has a different bridge than in that picture, and the few that came with tune o matic style units like the picture were single pickup models with a WBW pickguard, which this one does not have. There is a dual pickup special with a TOM bridge, but it has a different shape of pickguard. It also has different back control routing and four knobs, not two. I'm far from an expert on Gibsons, so I don't know if they made a version like in the picture, but it is certainly not a normal set of features for that model. Doesn't mean it is fake, or real, just that you should do more research. Buyer beware.

• Members

Doesn't look real to me. No headstock pic?

The guy said he bought it new for his grandson in California but his grandson wants a natural mahogany finish so he's selling it. Called it a 2010 model. I asked for a headstock pic and he sent me a stock Gibson LP Jr headstock shot (of a white guitar) from a website someplace. He said he thought he could get me an actual picture later tonight.

• Members

Pickguard, knobs, and bridge pickup are like a Junior. Bridge/tailpiece, neck pickup, and toggle are like a Special, but a Special would have soapbars. Case looks like it doesn't fit right, finish looks opaque or nearly so, and the back plate is rectangular for some reason. The pickguard is also strangle proportioned. Probably fake.

Archived