Clapton was God..

Sale83

• Members

These days, EC can get a little too cosy by himself -- but when there's someone else around to kick him up the ass (Beck, Winwood, BB) -- then he stops phoning it in and whips out the good stuff.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"Because you're not in the context of Britain in the mid 60s. All the rock based guitar stuff that is so common today was pretty much unheard of, and the likes of Clapton, Beck, Hendrix (who was a huge Clapton fan), made it possible. By the age of 23 Clapton was responsible in part for changing guitar music."

Very true; and then everyone copied him and so the style became ordinary and the norm, sort of like Jaco's fretless bassplaying did in the 80s.

The recent 2CD reissue of the Bluesbreakers 'Beano' album has some previously unreleased live stuff on it; hearing that, even I have to admit the guy was absolutely smokin' and at the top of his game back then.

• Members

I tend to think that Clapton's near pathological obsession with Robert Johnson pretty much robbed him of his true talent as a Blues innovator. He's still a brilliant guitarist when he wants to be but he now seems almost intimidated by the Blues, in a way that he wasn't in his youth and which made his work with Mayall and Cream so exciting. It's since become the cliche of all cliches but I do think Clapton withdrew from the game after hearing Hendrix play 'Killing Floor'.

• Members

On the scale of musical Diety, where Masters like Beethoven, Mozart, and Bach are musical Gods, Clapton would burst into flames if he even tried to set foot in their church.

Clapton is a dude that played the guitar. Some of it marginally good. Most of it not. He's no God.

Glad you enjoyed the show though. :thu:

• Members

I fixed your statement for you. That will be $50.00USD, please.
;)

Im sorry, did i miss something? Youve sold platinum records?

opps thats right, you havent sold one

SO STFU

• Members

On his death bed, with oxygen piped into his nose, wearing diapers and the EKG keeping time, EC will own all you pretenders and haters and what passes for guitar players today.

+1

And most of you aren't good enough to change said diaper.

Wiki says it all:

Eric Patrick Clapton, CBE (born 30 March 1945) is an English blues-rock guitarist, singer, songwriter and composer. Clapton is the only person who has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame three times; as a solo performer, as well as a member of rock bands the Yardbirds and Cream. Often viewed by critics and fans alike as one of the most important and influential guitarists of all time, Clapton was ranked fourth in Rolling Stone magazine's list of the "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time" and #53 on their list of the "Immortals: 100 Greatest Artists of All Time". In 2010, Clapton was ranked #4 on Gibson.com

• Members

+1

And most of you aren't good enough to change said diaper.

Wiki says it all:

Eric Patrick Clapton, CBE (born 30 March 1945) is an English blues-rock guitarist, singer, songwriter and composer. Clapton is the
only person who has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame three times
; as a solo performer, as well as a member of rock bands the Yardbirds and Cream. Often viewed by critics and fans alike as
one of the most important and influential guitarists of all time
, Clapton was ranked fourth in Rolling Stone magazine's list of the "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time" and #53 on their list of the "Immortals: 100 Greatest Artists of All Time". In 2010, Clapton was ranked #4 on Gibson.com

• Members

Yeah, I'm not so bothered about the length of the man's career. Cliff Richard has had a longer one, does that make him even better?

And rock and roll hall of fame? The music industry's employee of the month list is all that is. Means nothing to me.

• Members

Q- What do coffee and Eric Clapton have in common?

A- They both suck without Cream.

wow, you must have stones the size of nell carter to come off with that kinda of dreck...

so what did suck about the LP layla and other assorted love songs?

or the blind faith LP?

or..

or.

• Members

I hate Layla, it's a rubbish song. I'm not trying to be controversial or anything here, I just can't hear the attraction. Really, really middle of the road stuff, to my ears.

I like Politician, that's a good song he plays on. And, um, dunno. Cream's version of Spoonful is good.

Archived