Bruce Springsteen? Really?

DaveAronow

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I'm not really sure where this is coming from.
:confused:
Sure, Bruce celebrates certain aspects of American culture, but he is hardly jingoistic. He is also very critical of certain aspects of American culture. In fact, he's on record as supporting a Canadian- (and European-) style health care program.

Remember that
Born in the USA
(despite Ronald Reagan's infamous misreading) is very
critical
of American foreign policy.

It wasn't meant as a strong statement. I just thought he was associated with nationalism. Was he involved in political campaigns? :idk: Did I see him dressed in a flag? :idk:

I never paid that much attention to him, but that's just the overall impression I have of him, oh and this too.

[YOUTUBE]CiCGm2alQS8[/YOUTUBE]

• Members
To Each their own. I find Bruce absolutely and completely pretentious in his attempt to seem unpretentios.

I will not comment on his lyric writing skills. They may be fantastic but I have never been able to sit through enough of his music to enjoy the lyrics.

How do I think Bruce is pretentious, when he is so "real" and keeps it so "

"simple and honest"?

He appears to be a giant walking, living, breathing, Rock n Roll Cliche and to me it looks like he tries WAY to hard to look and act like he is not trying WAY too hard. I find his whole act pretentious.

He seems like the invention of a writer or director that read a script about what Rock n Roll is supposed to be all about but has never actually heard or seen it in real life.

He seems like a really cool guy and seems to really love what he does and I know his fans would die for him. But his whole deal does not seem the least bit natural to me. It seems like something he has honed and contrived for a long time to try and look like the plain old American clean cut rocker. Whatever he is doing is definitely working though.

Millions of people have bought into the act.

The music couldnt be any more middle of the road and generically uninteresting to me though. I have never heard a bruce Springsteen song that didnt make me yawn and want to change the station.

And although it might not seem like it, I REALLY love just about
all
music and have a hard time finding stuff I DONT like. I dont hate Bruce at all or anything. I just find very little if anything interesting in his music, and lyrics alone could NEVER completely make the song for me. There has to be something musically interesting to go along with the great lyrics or else all you have is some dude reading poetry over the top of some boring background music.
:bor:

Im not trying to convince the believers they are wrong. Im just asking what I am missing, because I cant even understand how someone could like him that much, much less make the fuss that the masses have made over him. It sounds like music written and performed for Ward Cleaver, and even nerdy kids, Wally and The Beave are bored as their dad drags them to the concert and keeps trying to explain why they should be excited.
:lol:

Rock on Bruce fans. You bunch of wild men you!!
:rawk:

:thu:

• Members
It wasn't meant as a strong statement. I just thought he was associated with nationalism. Was he involved in political campaigns?
:idk:
Did I see him dressed in a flag?
:idk:

I never paid that much attention to him, but that's just the overall impression I have of him, oh and this too.

No Bruce is pretty "left" from what I understand.

If he were nationalist pretty sure Morello wouldn't go anywhere near him

[YOUTUBE]JChuUgio_8g[/YOUTUBE]

• Members
To Each their own. I find Bruce absolutely and completely pretentious in his attempt to seem unpretentios.

I will not comment on his lyric writing skills. They may be fantastic but I have never been able to sit through enough of his music to enjoy the lyrics.

"simple and honest"?

He appears to be a giant walking, living, breathing, Rock n Roll Cliche and to me it looks like he tries WAY to hard to look and act like he is not trying WAY too hard. I find his whole act pretentious.

He seems like the invention of a writer or director that read a script about what Rock n Roll is supposed to be all about but has never actually heard or seen it in real life.

He seems like a really cool guy and seems to really love what he does and I know his fans would die for him. But his whole deal does not seem the least bit natural to me. It seems like something he has honed and contrived for a long time to try and look like the plain old American clean cut rocker. Whatever he is doing is definitely working though.

Millions of people have bought into the act.

The music couldnt be any more middle of the road and generically uninteresting to me though. I have never heard a bruce Springsteen song that didnt make me yawn and want to change the station.

And although it might not seem like it, I REALLY love just about
all
music and have a hard time finding stuff I DONT like. I dont hate Bruce at all or anything. I just find very little if anything interesting in his music, and lyrics alone could NEVER completely make the song for me. There has to be something musically interesting to go along with the great lyrics or else all you have is some dude reading poetry over the top of some boring background music.
:bor:

Im not trying to convince the believers they are wrong. Im just asking what I am missing, because I cant even understand how someone could like him that much, much less make the fuss that the masses have made over him. It sounds like music written and performed for Ward Cleaver, and even nerdy kids, Wally and The Beave are bored as their dad drags them to the concert and keeps trying to explain why they should be excited.
:lol:

Rock on Bruce fans. You bunch of wild men you!!

if you have to ask what you are missing..
im betting you just dont get it and never will..

its like some kid asking me why do you like dylan.. or neil young.. i mean they cant sing... so what the point..

im not here to educate folks on why and what.. if you are open to a particular music thats fine if not.. thats fine too.. but to bash about some band because they dont speak to you.. weak..

i like lyricist almost more then fancy guitar riffs.. I dont Get KISS.. i will leave it at that.. i will not bash them.. i know what my ears hear and thats enough..

each to own his..

• Members

Until you have seen him live....you don't know Springsteen.

I was a hater. Yes, a hater. Then I saw him live in like 1987. :eek:

I delved into the back catalog. I started paying attention.

His body of work is so "vast" at this point that it is bound to have hit & miss for everyone, including me. But it's all real. The E street band is a real rock n roll band. A live show is like church. You go in not believing, and then you are changed. You are elevated, you feel better when you leave. You feel like you sweated it out. You celebrated. You looked inward. You were converted. You leave a believer.

• Members

I was a hater. Yes, a hater. Then I saw him live in like 1987.
:eek:

His body of work is so "vast" at this point that it is bound to have hit & miss for everyone, including me. But it's all real. The E street band is a real rock n roll band. A live show is like church. You go in not believing, and then you are changed. You are elevated, you feel better when you leave. You feel like you sweated it out. You celebrated. You looked inward. You were converted. You leave a believer.

That is a darn good analogy BM.

• Members

I was a hater. Yes, a hater. Then I saw him live in like 1987.
:eek:

What's with all the Jesus stuff in the last few days? :confused:

• Members

"Horrific guitar player." ,"He's good with words, it's just the music part he has trouble with" "I just find very little if anything interesting in his music, and lyrics alone could NEVER completely make the song for me. There has to be something musically interesting to go along with the great lyrics or else all you have is some dude reading poetry over the top of some boring background music" These kind of descriptions of his music, well really seem strange to me, I mean go play Born in the USA, any song, can you really say any of these comments are realistic, mo matter what your tastes are, he certainly is a pretty good guitarists, has quite a way with words, and seem fairly interesting most of the time, all those album sales and concert tickets and longevity are due to something.

• Members

"simple and honest"?

Thanks for taking the time to spell this out, but I have to say I can't see how you came to these opinions. I'm curious, though, about who you feel does live up to the authenticity tag? Young? Mellencamp? Willie? Perhaps Levon? Who is genuinely real and unpretentious?

One thing about Bruce: After his first marriage and his brief decamping to LA :facepalm:, he has lived in oh-so-unglamorous NJ and regularly is seen around town. He has security at home, sure, but he also drives to town alone to get a sandwich, works out at a local gym, etc. He occasionally shows up at local fairs and festivals, not as a performer but just to check out the event, often with his family. Is that his way of seeming unpretentious?

Your editing of my earlier message seems reasonable, though I woudln't agree that his music is uninteresting.

And, yeah, if Jon Stewart says it, that usually good enough for me! ;)

• Members

Thanks for taking the time to spell this out, but I have to say I can't see how you came to these opinions. I'm curious, though, about who you feel does live up to the
authenticity
tag? Young? Mellencamp? Willie? Perhaps Levon? Who is genuinely real and unpretentious?

One thing about Bruce: After his first marriage and his brief decamping to LA
:facepalm:
, he has lived in oh-so-unglamorous NJ and regularly is seen around town. He has security at home, sure, but he also drives to town alone to get a sandwich, works out at a local gym, etc. He occasionally shows up at local fairs and festivals, not as a performer but just to check out the event, often with his family. Is that his way of
seeming
unpretentious?

Your editing of my earlier message seems reasonable, though I woudln't agree that his music is uninteresting.

And, yeah, if Jon Stewart says it, that usually good enough for me!
;)

Im not speaking about his personal life, away from the stage on his off time. Im sure he is a great "regular" guy.

It is only on stage that the whole regular guy thing seems a little rehearsed, or if not rehearsed, then at least never far from the consciousness and awareness that this image must be maintained in order to deliver what the fans expect. There is nothing wrong with developing and maintaining an image, especially if fans have come to love and expect and demand that image, and as you imply, im not sure I can really think of many huge successful artists of his stature that dont do it to some degree or other. The difference, in his case, is when he is trying to actually SELL the whole "regular guy, not into contrivancies, or images" image, that It makes me question it because to me, HE actually looks like he makes a conscious effort to project and maintain it, which is the actual OPPOSITE of what he is trying to sell himself as. He is aware and as protective of maintaining his image as any other huge star, it is just that the image he is trying to pass off is that he is not actually TRYING to have an image. I find it a little contrived, and in his case, a little hypocritical. Im really not bashing him though. It doesnt really bother me at all. Its just show business. But yes, a good comparison would be guys like Brian Adams, and John Mellencamp, that sometimes seem painfully obvious that they are trying very hard, going out of their way to develop images that sey, " hey look at us, we are the real deal. We dont CARE what anyone thinks."

I personally believe they care ALOT more than they are trying to have us believe.

Archived