Bruce Springsteen? Really?

DaveAronow

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i like his acoustic stuff a lot.

not a fan of the freakishly produced e-street band {censored} though. i mean, i dig little steven and weinberg ... but as a band; they don't do it for me.

finally I can agree with someone over Springsteen.

I always read people talking about his band and how fiery and passionate it was. then I actually heard them and it sounded like {censored}ing Chinese Democracy without the synth-guitars.

• Members

I seriously rate Darkness At the Edge Of Town (1978) ... Adam Raised A Cain is a magnificent song, and the lead guitar (by Broooooce himself, rather than Miami Steve) is just MONSTROUS. Tele-tone of da godz.... from around 1'50" in.

[YOUTUBE]RxI9crUo6e8[/YOUTUBE]

There are a ton of live versions on YT as well -- where the solos go all the way into the Neil Young universe and beyond ...

• Members

I have a huge amount of respect for Bruce. I think he's got the real spirit of music in him. He respects the craft, and he always brings it full on live as everyone knows.

But yeah his music is pretty hit and miss for me. At least the stuff I've heard. I am not by any means an expert on his catalog...but then in a way that's kind of the point for me...nothing he ever did inspired me enough to listen to the more "hidden" stuff. I'm of the "Born in the USA generation" so I know that best.

So in that light; this one has always been probably my most favorite Boss song.

[YOUTUBE]QXEpLsooMJ0[/YOUTUBE]

Amazing lyrics....and just a beautifully arranged piece of great pop. I love songs like this that have a bounce to them but are very sad when you really listen close.

• Members

I love songs like this that have a bounce to them but are very sad when you really listen close.

pretty much all of his words are particularly sad. and very well crafted. it's why i appreciate his stripped down acoustic stuff so much; when such is not drowned out by all the overproduced madness with the band.

but it's been established around here that clearly no one gives a flying {censored} about, you know, "words" and what they mean when strung together to express ... well, anything.

because actually "thinking" is, apparently, pretty hard.

• Members

Bruce is a great lyricist. My daughter has been to several of his shows and she literally cries from the emotion Bruce brings to his shows. Bruce seems to have total commitment to the human experience. His MUSIC never did much for me personally, with the exception of a few songs: She's the One, Badlands, Rosalita and his anthem, Born to Run.

• Members

i like his acoustic stuff a lot.

not a fan of the freakishly produced e-street band {censored} though. i mean, i dig little steven and weinberg ... but as a band; they don't do it for me.

Totally agree. OK, there are some cuts on that live box set that have a nice energy to them, but by and large the E-street band doesn't do it for me at all. Too many instruments, not terribly well arranged, way too compressed production, etc.

BS + an accoustic guitar = greatness

• Members

He's good with words, it's just the music part he has trouble with

I remember when they used to play the hell out of "Born to Run" on the radio, And they played that goddamn song so much and I could never understand why...now I know it was the whole pay-ola routine.

*on air radio dj*-"hey we just gotta bunch of request for that new Springsteen song 'Born to Run'", which we come to find out later that the only request the dj got to play the song came from the record company A&R guy who just shoved coke or money in the dj's face.

Archived