Whats so great about Jimi Hendrix anyway?

scuzzo

• Members

I am in the "not getting it" party here... Like, I get he was a good guitarist, especially for the time. But he sounds like someone gave him a bunch of toys and he had to always use the newest set on EVERY FREAKING SONG!... In my opinion he just sounds like noise... :idk: I think his influence on rock from that point on though was great.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I won't say "Pearls before swine" regarding those who don't "dig" Jimi. Maybe "one man's meat is another man's poison" or their is no arguing taste, however wrong the other may be! Tried to find Townsend's article about why JH is #1 from RS list of top 100. Saw Jimi 3x: Portland, Santa Clara (last time with original experience, I believe) and Seattle (last performance in US I believe). 2nd time I saw him he was God. 1 outta 3 ain't bad for a mortal. Who knows where he might have gone if he'd made some stuff with Gil Evans as planned... damn ambulance drivers killed him!

• Members

seem this thread is for hendrix fans,,

you are not one.. ok its clear..

just leave it be man...

you are really being a chud..

Bit surprised to hear this from you Yngtchie..but whatever

Maybe he should have called it an "appreciation" thread...because as it stands now it invites comment.

If you want everyone to AGREE with your opinion then say so. I will happily ignore threads like that....but at least be honest about it.

• Members

I think the problem is that you're kind of implying a certain "cool" factor to those who like jimi, and as of late data is inconclusive on how special and cool you are based on your opinion.

But of course its your opinion, to which you are perfectly entitled.

Exactly...there is an arrogant presumption in the way he worded the post...an he knows it too.

Everyone know if you read it literally it's "just an opinion" but everyone also knows that a message was being sent. If you don't 'get' jimi then your musical taste is lesser than mine.

• Members

As an absolute Hendrix nut...I can't disagree with the statement about the quality of some of the stuff that has been released, but that's not Jimi's fault!

However, if you think that he had a recording career in his own right lasting about 3 years, it's hardly surprising that there is some dross out there. :poke:

It's a bit churlish to complain about the bootlegs when he wrote and performed some of the most amazing music ever recorded (try Little Wing, Wait Until Tomorrow, Nightbird Flying, Red House, Fire, Voodoo Chile (Slight Return), House Burning Down, Ezy Rider etc.).

What does it being a bootleg have to do with anything? I've seen clips where his note selection was terrible...all out of key and {censored}...and his time was all off. Live of course. The audio quality has nothing to do with the playing. And the playing is jimi's fault.

Just because a guy can write some great music doesn't mean that every single thing he does is gold.

• Members

I kinda liked the first two albums where he tightened up his material to fit the 3 minute radio tune format. Chas Chandler had something to do with that.

E Ladyland to me is like Beatles White Album - a bit sketchy on the production/eveness side, coulda been edited down to single album that prob would be topping the best albums of all time no question. Why didn't they ask ME?:rolleyes:

Impossible to get across how radical and weird and magically different he was when he turned up - listen to the top 40 songs from 63 to 66 then drop the needle on Are You Experienced - Hendrix just flew in from some other planet.

Nice to be old enough to hear the originality without having to make a history lesson out of it. You couldn't pick Adam and Eve out of a crowd if they were born nowadays.

The White Whale

• Members

hi

as far as im concerned. HENDRIX IS IT. PERIOD.

yes. and he changed. the way people play. i realized that quite late. last year.
just watch woodstock movie. all players play normal blues rock and then comes hendrix and kills everybody.

sadly he liked drougs to much.

my 3cents :)

• Members
hi

as far as im concerned. HENDRIX IS IT. PERIOD.

yes. and he changed. the way people play. i realized that quite late. last year.

just watch woodstock movie. all players play normal blues rock and then comes hendrix and kills everybody.

sadly he liked drougs to much.

my 3cents
:)

there is an amazing extra footage video of jimi at wood stock... im not sure if i can find it or not.. but

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/jimi-hendrix-at-woodstock/

wish i could embed.. but dang.. good stuff..
if you dig it..

Archived