Stairway To Heaven and Freebird are great songs.

twofoolsaminute

• Members

We have heard them so many times BECAUSE they are great songs.

I can stomach listening to Freebird at least once a month or so. It will still be a few decades before I am ready for Stairway again. Need to build the tolerance back up.

But yes, I still remember exactly where I was and what I was doing the first time I heard either of these songs. I was around before and during the driving into the ground of these songs, so I was alive during a time in history when these songs were fresh and hadnt been beaten into the ground, and I can ASSURE you, they werent the musical jokes and mother of all cliches they have been for the last 20 years or so.

these songs got that way because they were Rock and Roll masterpieces, and also, when I use that word, you have to put the songs in context to anything that was around back then to compare them to. Yes, they were masterpieces.

• Members

We have heard them so many times BECAUSE they are great songs.

I know I'm going to get flamed by some spandex lover but..... I think part of why we had the overplaying of those great songs was because of the lack of great songs during the 80's.

• Members

I know I'm going to get flamed by some spandex lover but..... I think part of why we had the overplaying of those great songs was because of the lack of great songs during the 80's.

...hard to argue the point...

• Members

I've been through this kind of thing so many times before--for a long time I couldn't listen to the Beatles and most of the Stones. Then for no apparent reason it all came back. Go figure. You will find joy again in these tunes, I promise. Sometimes we just need a break--even if that means a decade or two. :idk:

I still can't stomach Bowie, the Kinks, and most of the Who, but I expect that sometime down the road I'll be back on board.

• Members

I always think of Stairway to Heaven as a rubbish song, but a brilliant production. It's almost like a Led Zep showcase demo or something. Tight as hell, intricate, beautifully recorded, performed with absolute commitment, and very musically sophisticated without becoming inaccessible. But, unfortunately, another daft Lord of the Rings referencing load of cobblers that portends a lot but signifies nothing.

Like Voodoo Chile (the long version) by Hendrix, I find I like parts of it, but strongly dislike the whole.

Zeppelin had areal weakness for psuedo profundity, and this and No Quarter are the worst examples, Of course, both of those songs have absolutely inspired moments, but still.

I'm saying all this, but the real issue, of course, is that they set themselves such a high bar. Very few bands could even dream of having the worst songs in the Zeppelin songboook, so all this is to be taken with that pinch of salt.

• Members

We don't cover Stairway but as a R&R trio we do a very nice job on Freebird. We do this song at about 80% of our gigs. I tell the guys in the band this about a song like that...Yes it's boring to us but they wouldn't ask for it unless they wanted it.:thu:

• Members

John P T nailed it on the head: "Zeppelin had areal weakness for psuedo profundity, and this and No Quarter are the worst examples, Of course, both of those songs have absolutely inspired moments, but still."

Cream were oh so guilty of this bs passing as deep thoughts too.....

Freebird is more fun to play

• Members

i do enjoy the skynyrd method for composing a 10 minute guitar solo.

choose a lick. play it 100 times in a row. choose another lick. play that one 100 times in a row. now, maybe take that first one and play it again 100 times in a row. if you wanna get flashy; play it an octave up.

rinse, repeat - if necessary.

• Members
I agree that Stairway is great (although I'm not fond of the vocals once he starts singing high :idk:). Freebird on the other hand... Annoys me, idk why. Maybe the 20,000 measures of a bent high d up to some random note at the end?[/QUOTE]

That has to be it.

Archived