I think the Fender Champ 600 is magical

Frets99

• Members
I think you need to bias power tubes between pairs so that they work together and not against each other. This wouldn't apply to the Champ. I never thought about that, honestly, I just did the switch.
:o

OK...did you change both tubes or just power?

• Members
OK...did you change both tubes or just power?

I had already messed around with different preamp tubes just for fun.
I changed the power tube when I realized it was all black. :eek:

The only info I've found is that the Champ is cathode-biased, plug and play, so apparently you don't need to bias the power tube, but you can if you want to. You'd probably get 10 answers in 10 minutes on the amp forum, though. These guys know everything. :o

• Members

The Champ 600 is always the amp I go to to try out guitars in the shops, sheer simplicity means you really get an idea of what the GUITAR sounds like. If I didn't already have a small tube amp I would've gotten one for myself already.

• Members
I had already messed around with different preamp tubes just for fun.

I changed the power tube when I realized it was all black.
:eek:

The only info I've found is that the Champ is cathode-biased, plug and play, so apparently you don't need to bias the power tube, but you can if you want to. You'd probably get 10 answers in 10 minutes on the amp forum, though. These guys know everything.
:o

every time I go in there I feel like I left my fly open and my balls are falling out...:o

• Members

Sounds nice Frets. I haven't yet played one of those myself but have been curious about them.

A year or so ago I really took off into buying little 5W or so Class A amps. Now my bigger combos all pretty much sit idle.

But like in you demo, what I like about them is an amazing amount of presence, and there can indeed be a lot of "sweetness" to their voice.

Right now I'm alternating between a Tech 21 Trademark 30 for smooth thick warm bassy tones, and then I also plug into a 5W Class A Peavey JSX Mini Colossal. I bought it on a closeout sale and didn't pay that much. I thought I'd be hearing Satriani violin like tones, but so far I've had better luck dialing in tones like you are getting off of that Champ 600; so I've been using it for cleans with just a bit o grit. Those are now my two fave "recliner chair" amps (where I do most all of my playing).

But anyway, I think I'm on the same page with you on that. There's just a neat presence and sweetness that's a whole other ball game but yet it seems to be almost, dare I say, a more "intimate" tone to the instrument than the Fender or Vox thunky tones I used to chase.

• Members
Here's your chance! The Chinese tubes were both crap in mine. You can find them on most online music stores. You can really tell the difference in tubes in such a simple and pure amplifier.

ts6v6.jpg

Alright, can you take me on a step-by-step guide? Which one(s) do I need to buy and where do I buy them from? How much do they cost? Also, is replacement as simple as removing the old one(s) and screwing these ones in?

Thanks!

• Members

I had a SuperChamp XD for a while.

Pretty good "Fender Clean" out of channel one, but I was never quite happy with any of the options (all digital models of something or other) on the dirt channel. Finally decided that my Peavey was only slightly harder to tote around, and was all I was ever going to use anyway, and cut it loose.

(I bought it as part of the Fender Friday deals, so I ended up breaking even... essentially renting an amp for free for about half a year.)

Love the Champ 600 tone, but I'm over the 5W mania. Most tube amps in that class are a little too loud for the living room, and a little too quiet for the rehearsal hall. At least that's been my experience with them.

• Members

Alright, can you take me on a step-by-step guide? Which one(s) do I need to buy and where do I buy them from? How much do they cost? Also, is replacement as simple as removing the old one(s) and screwing these ones in?

Thanks!

Step 1: Pull out the old burned-out tube. (There's no unscrewing. Just take the trap off that's holding it in place, if there even is one, and it pulls straight out. Tubes are just connected by a few long-ish pins that plug in just like a wall socket plug.)

Step 2: Take the old one with you to a guitar store and tell the clerk behind the desk, "I need to replace one of these."

Step 3: He will show you two or three brands of the size/type tube you need.

Step 4: Pick one and buy it.

Step 5: Go home, plug it in, put the trap back in place.

Step 6: Rock.

• Members

Thanks!

If a blown tube is indeed your problem, it's still a good idea to change both the preamp and the power amp tubes anyway. It will sound much better and they'll be less likely to just die on you. You should always unplug the amp and make sure the tubes aren't hot. (not an issue this time, but for the next)

You just grab the big power tube and gently rock it back and forth while pulling on it. The preamp tube has a little spring-loaded cover that you have to push and rotate for removal. The preamp tube is removed the same way as the other one.

I've always bought my tubes at the store. This amp uses a 12ax7 and a 6v6. You might have a hard time finding power tubes as singles as they are often sold in pairs. The small one will probable be around 15$ and the big one slightly more. Canadian prices are a bit all over the place, it's hard to tell.

I was suggesting the Tung-Sol 6v6 because I happened to like it very much. I had a JJ or Groove Tubes 12ax7 and they didn't change the tone much for me. It would probably be less than forty dollars in the US, whether you choose to order from an online music store or buy locally and the amp will be so much better.

Putting the new tubes in is not too tricky. You'll notice there's a notch on the baseplate, so the tube can only fit in a certain position. Just rotate it in the socket until it fits, and then you push it further in gently. The pins are tough, but you really don't want to break one.

ALWAYS let the amp warm for a few minutes with the volume on ZERO before you start playing. You do get sound quicker than that, but if you use the tubes before they're fully warmed up, they won't last as long.

My first tube amp had 7 preamp tubes and 4 power tubes and it was a costly and brutal learning. I didn't learn much, actually, but it did cost a lot.

• Members
Love the Champ 600 tone, but I'm over the 5W mania. Most tube amps in that class are a little too loud for the living room, and a little too quiet for the rehearsal hall. At least that's been my experience with them.

The quest for the perfect 1w amp begins... ;)

• Members

I'd stop short of "magical", but those are one of the few little amps I actually like. It's a small amp, and a relatively cleanish one, but to me it really feels like an authentic Fender amp. Same vibe and feel. It responds the same way and has the same voice as its bigger brothers.

By comparison I've also played the Victoria 518 which weighs in at a whopping $1000 new. It's a bit better, but not THAT much. And I feel like a few basic mods to the Champ and you'd be really close.

At the end of the day I still feel there is no comparison to a big amp though, even at low volume. They fill the room in a way you can't with a 6" speaker.

• Members

Idk if they have a external speaker jack or what the ohms, but be easy to diy an external spkr jack...5 watts can drive 4x12, 4x10 cab, or do a detuned 12 for filling the room. Speaker and cabs can make a significant difference. IMHO the magic is in the se circuit and the less is more design.

Idk if they have a external speaker jack or what the ohms, but be easy to diy an external spkr jack...5 watts can drive 4x12, 4x10 cab, or do a detuned 12 for filling the room. Speaker and cabs can make a significant difference. IMHO the magic is in the se circuit and the less is more design.

The speaker in the Champ is connected by a jack. You can disconnect the internal speaker and connect a cab to it.

• Members

Mornin' Fretsie:wave:
I too Love that amp. In fact I consider it one of the better values out there.
I have had one since they came out and I am still amazed at how good it sounds. It LOVES my Modellers too to boot. It is just pure perfect amplification of whatever you use with it. Just can't say enough good things about that amp. If you like to use the Pocket Pod or the Zoom G-2.1 and at moderate volumes, I couldn't reccomend another amp more highly.
It also sounds fantastic bone dry with a little bit or more of natural breakup.
A little post processing and I'd be hard pressed to guess it was that little amp in a recording.

Archived