Best Knock-Off "Cheap" Les Pauls

scgmhawk

• Members

Thanks for all the feedback. Going to head to GC tomorrow to get a better idea too. I'm not really sure about budget. He hadn't picked up his guitar for a year (I almost sold it!) and then just started playing again. Probably not more than $400.

• Members

If you didn't like the Epi which is authorized by Gibson then most of the knock offs will be even less impressive.

No, except, of course, for all the knock-offs that are vastly superior to Epi's.

One inexpensive case in point: DeArmond M-series setnecks, like my M-72 (I no longer own, only because of acquiring some Gibbies).

Honey.jpg

Lots and lots and lots of other possibilities.

• Members

Just to throw something different into the mix, the Yamaha AES620 is a great LP-ish dual HB 24.75" scale. Replace the hideous chrome knobs with black speed knobs, it's an amazing guitar. Should be 300-400 used. Duncan JB in the bridge as stock, big fat neck, great tone. It blew away a Gibson LP VM I tried out side-by-side, tone and playability and workmanship (and was just as nice as a faded SG).

Steve

• Members

Just to throw something different into the mix, the Yamaha AES620 is a great LP-ish dual HB 24.75" scale. Replace the hideous chrome knobs with black speed knobs, it's an amazing guitar. Should be 300-400 used. Duncan JB in the bridge as stock, big fat neck, great tone. It blew away a Gibson LP VM I tried out side-by-side, tone and playability and workmanship (and was just as nice as a faded SG).

Steve

This. Love my AES620. Got it for $329 when they were blowing them out a couple of years ago at Sam Ash.

• Members

I have a Korean Epiphone LP from about 2002 that I really like. This one's a goldtop that I put in a pair of Golden Age pups from StewMac. Plays and sounds great. I also had a black Korean Epiphone LP that I should not have part with.

At any rate, they can be found used for about $350.

Archived