Fender Custom Shop Masterbuilt avg cost?

EJStrat2Tone

• Members

$4k minimum. You're probably better off building a guitar out of Fender parts with the specs you want.

Or try SMK Musicworks, he builds a fine instrument, any way you'd like it, at a much better price. I have three of them, will have Scott build me some more down the road. :love:

• Members

I would be guessing , which I don't like to do. But I would say 2k or there abouts. I have a 52 Tele relic he made with Fralin pups, one piece swampash body, huge neck. It slays my Danny Gatton tele. I've had many compliments on it too.

• Members

I still think it might be better to hunt down the correct-spec Fender parts you want, and build your own dream guitar. Should be a helluva lot cheaper than a custom builder, and you can control exactly what you want.

• Members

Maybe a Master could build it for less out of his home shop? You know damn well they each probably have a home setup.

I'd be surprised if they didn't have to sign an intellectual property agreement with Fender. On the outside chance they can build you something without working under the fender name, but it won't be a strat.

• Members

I'd be surprised if they didn't have to sign an intellectual property agreement with Fender. On the outside chance they can build you something without working under the fender name, but it won't be a strat.

i think he means the whole thing would be under the table right? hush hush wink wink

• Members

Minor case of irritation here; (Sorry) The OP wants to know "how much" for the Masterbuilt stuff and before there's even a plausible answer we get the "but you can slap one together so much cheaper at Joe's blacksmith and livery stables"... well no, you can't. Not at any price. The only place you can get a Fender Masterbuilt is from Fender, or a cast off from someone else who bought one. The end.

I think it comes down to one question. How badly do you want a Fender custom shop guitar? Call em up and ask their prices. I am pretty sure they will be only too happy to tell you. If you can scratch that itch, I say go for it. Otherwise, there are loads of fine (already built and working!) guitars to choose from just about anywhere at pretty much any price you're willing to pay.

• Members

Minor case of irritation here; (Sorry) The OP wants to know "how much" for the Masterbuilt stuff and before there's even a plausible answer we get the "but you can slap one together so much cheaper at Joe's blacksmith and livery stables"... well no, you can't. Not at any price. The only place you can get a Fender Masterbuilt is from Fender, or a cast off from someone else who bought one. The end.

I think it comes down to one question. How badly do you want a Fender custom shop guitar? Call em up and ask their prices. I am pretty sure they will be only too happy to tell you. If you can scratch that itch, I say go for it. Otherwise, there are loads of fine (already built and working!) guitars to choose from just about anywhere at pretty much any price you're willing to pay.

Point taken.

The ones on wildwood generally range from 4 to 6 grand.

http://wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/fender/masterbuilt/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

crashclc is certainly entitled to his opinion, but his oblique comments make two things clear: he seems to be under the impression that the "Masterbuilt" term means wood no one else in the world can obtain, craftsmanship no one else is capable of either. He obviously has absolutely no experience with repairing Fender Masterbuilts, or playing anything at all from "Joe's Blacksmith and Livery" (whateverthehell THAT is). If you WANT a Masterbuilt and can afford it, this America...... go for it! But it may be a bit of an epiphony to check out a custom hand-made guitar from ANY quality luthier. And Scott at SMK Musicworks is absolutely one of them, easy to work with, totally affordable. I have a couple of his axe's, and Fender and Gibby's too. Sorry, but Scott's work easily rivals Fender's Custom Shop, and puts Gibson in a very "how did THAT get out of the factory?" status in my view. I've worked an a quite few guitars, seen alot of them, and reformulated my opinions about Big Manufacturer guitars because of it. Be not naive for want of name. A buddy just bought a completely scratch-built old-growth Georgian Bay pine and maple Tele replica/relic in Surf Green. It went for $2200.00 and the owner is completely smitten with it. Check out his site: http://www.smkmusicworks.com/

• Members

Another builder that could probably fulfill your request would be Gil Yaron (Preeb) from the TDPRI forums. He's probably one of the most respected underground builders around. I'm not sure how much it would cost, probably upwards of $2k, and he's in Israel, which could make shipping a bit of a hassle, but he builds a mean guitar.

• Members

crashclc is certainly entitled to his opinion, but his oblique comments make two things clear: he seems to be under the impression that the "Masterbuilt" term means wood no one else in the world can obtain, craftsmanship no one else is capable of either. He obviously has absolutely no experience with repairing Fender Masterbuilts, or playing anything at all from "Joe's Blacksmith and Livery" (whateverthehell THAT is). If you WANT a Masterbuilt and can afford it, this America...... go for it! But it may be a bit of an epiphony to check out a custom hand-made guitar from ANY quality luthier. And Scott at SMK Musicworks is absolutely one of them, easy to work with, totally affordable. I have a couple of his axe's, and Fender and Gibby's too. Sorry, but Scott's work easily rivals Fender's Custom Shop, and puts Gibson in a very "how did THAT get out of the factory?" status in my view. I've worked an a quite few guitars, seen alot of them, and reformulated my opinions about Big Manufacturer guitars because of it. Be not naive for want of name. A buddy just bought a completely scratch-built old-growth Georgian Bay pine and maple Tele replica/relic in Surf Green. It went for $2200.00 and the owner is completely smitten with it. Check out his site:

There is a lot more to buying the Fender Master Built than just the guitar itself.

The resell value will stay relatively high, where as a small, unrecognized builders guitar will be comparatively worthless on the used market. After having trouble selling even used PRS's in the past, I prefer to own something that maintains monetary value. Not to mention that a Masterbuilt comes from a dealer network that offers certain buyer protections and has a warranty that is supported worldwide.

And it is a damn nice built instrument. Nothing you can't find elsewhere, I admit. And these days I prefer to support smaller shops that build to customer specs. But the OP wasn't asking where to buy a compatible guitar.

And while I will trust that SMK builds a nice instrument, he better build the better then he distresses finishes, because his gallery of relics doesn't really demonstrate an observant eye for authenticity in the few guitars shown.

And, honestly, the above being your first post at HC seems a bit suspicious to me.

• Members

The correct answer is spam.

Bumping a year old thread to post a link and a short anecdote raving about a company
does
seem a bit suspicious.

Ah hell, I didn't spot it was a bump.

Then definitely smells like...

spam_1.jpg

• Members

I know oldgearjammer and Scott very well, he was just making a point. But the GODS with a million posts whom seem to OWN the board are hard on new members at times. Many members have a life besides sitting in front of a pc. I respect you Wyatt for your knowledge, but your post was out of line. Left a bad taste in me buddies mindset too. Way to welcome a new member to the site!:facepalm:

• Members

If I remember correctly from the last time I was looking, you can order to a certain level of custom spec based off the regular CS team built Time Machine models ('57, '62, etc). Not a fully on custom job as it has to be based off their existing models, but a lot less than masterbuilt prices too, which works if you're not looking for something radically unique.

Archived