GFS replacement necks...

diceman1000

• Members

I emailed Jay once about them. He told me they have no work done to them at all aside from being assembled. You'll likely have to do all your own fretwork and nut adjustments. But for $40, who cares if you have to do some work?

It will cost you twice that amount at least to get a neck that you don't have to do any work to.

• Members

i'm glad you're enjoying your popcor there bud... but it ain't helpin' me much;)

Just curious about this neck too. I have a build coming up. Just my way of bumping. I also have a few customers asking about cheap necks.

• Members

I bought a tele neck in the amber color. A few weeks later I bought a Mighty-Mite, much better.

The GFS tele neck is a bit garish, more orange than amber. More importantly, it had a few pretty high frets and buzzed a lot. It was a cheap neck and it was my first build, so I just kept it to see how the whole guitar would turn out. When it turned out okay, I replaced the neck in a hurry.

I ended up buying a Mighty-Mite birds-eye maple tele neck. Maybe I got lucky, but it is a very nice neck and played well right out of the box. It looks much better than the GFS too.

You get what you pay for, and at some point cheap is just that - cheap stuff. If had stepped up a little to begin with I could have saved some money on the project.

• Members

I may go with one just to see. I've done fret and nut work. I think I'll try one of the unfinished ones. I have a customer with an idea for a headstock. More in my pocket and less in some neck maker's pocket.

• Members

I got a couple. They are a bit rough and need quite a bit of work to make them good. I would expect the finished ones to be better, but then you are stuck with that headstock shape. I got the unfinished ones because I wanted to give them a strat headstock.

• Members

I have the rosewood one and is taped ready to work on frets. You will have to cut the headstock for your shape. I went with a maple on my Tele build, this are good necks for the price. I would let you have this one for $30 bucks shipped if you want it:thu:

thanks for the offer bud, but i want a maple board... and yeah, i'm talking about the finished ones:thu:

Archived