Just got kicked out of a guitar store

Invader.CC

• Members
I use metal picks a lot.

I wouldn't use them on a friends or shop guitar.

I own guitars with metal pick damage...they ain't pretty.

But I do carry plastic picks as well, as a mark of respect to other players who kindly let me play their guitars.

It's just common sense.

:thu:

But do you think it's wrong to point out that someone looks gay?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I never use a pick in a music store. I use my fingernail, or the pads of my fingers.

While his use of the word effeminate and implying that the guy was gay is distasteful to me, it didn't go far enough to be considered homophobia. It paints a picture of the OP as a dull-minded individual with very narrow ideas of gender roles. He doesn't seem like someone that I would want to hang-out with.

• Members

The moral of the story is: don't use metal picks on a store guitar, especially when it's a high-end, high-ticket item.

If you do, the staff/management are likely to get upset, and quite rightly so. Doesn't matter if they look like Judy Garland or Zakk Wylde, or whether you think they like to go to bed with men, women, farmyard animals, household pets or simply a good book.

The mannerisms and (perceived or imagined) sexuality of the guy who told you off are completely irrelevant, and making such a big deal of it simply suggests that you think it'll make people want to take your side when you're actually totally in the wrong.

Not charming.

• Members

But do you think it's wrong to point out that someone looks gay?

Yes, especially in this story, gay seems to be the problem, the rest is trivial. His story says: I got kicked out by some one who looks gay, I don't like that because I'm a macho. Apart from the fact he did NOT get kicked out because he walked out of the store himself, his attitude seems to be the problem.

"I noticed at this time that this guy had certain female qualities to his talk and manner plus had that kind of whiny way about him.."

Doesn't sound very respectful does it? And then he says, "to each their own", so why mention it if it doesn't matter?

And the picture you posted suggests you're the same. So who's whining here, yes correct answer, the OP is whining.

• Members

Yes, especially in this story, gay seems to be the problem, the rest is trivial. His story says: I got kicked out by some one who looks gay, I don't like that because I'm a macho. Apart from the fact he did NOT get kicked out because he walked out of the store himself, his attitude seems to be the problem.

"I noticed at this time that this guy had certain female qualities to his talk and manner plus had that kind of whiny way about him.."

Doesn't sound very respectful does it? And then he says, "to each their own", so why mention it if it doesn't matter?

And the picture you posted suggests you're the same. So who's whining here, yes correct answer, the OP is whining.

I'm a big fan of Alexi Laiho, and he kisses the keyboard player of his band on stage sometimes. That picture is hilarious.

I didn't really care about the whole story much, but those people who act effeminate are just being a walking stereotype. I've had homosexual friends, my favorite teacher in college, etc... That kind of silly behavior is just phony. I didn't sense any hate coming from the guy that writes funny, but annoyance. I share that annoyance but I don't mention it, because that's what they want to be and they don't hurt anyone.

Homosexuals are not retarded silly gooses. That guy just acts like a clown.

• Members

You guys got invader pegged all wrong. I've actually spoken to the guy in person, he is fairly prominent in the music business where he lives and there's not a hateful bone in his body. He's a pretty nice guy. He was merely trying to illustrate the guy's mannerinsms.
If I told you some guy put his hand on his hip and shoved the other hand in my face, you'd likely assume what invader said about him.
So, lay off the guy...there's nothing homophobic about him. Some of you people need to take some desensitivity pills and chill the {censored} out.

EG

• Members
How do you know he acted like a clown? All we've got is the word if the OP, who is a jackass for the metal pick thing alone, never mind the rest of it.

He described his actions and attitude. :idk: This is not a big deal, really.

I think the homemade metal scratching tool is inexcusable, though.

• Members

You guys got invader pegged all wrong. I've actually spoken to the guy in person, he is fairly prominent in the music business where he lives and there's not a hateful bone in his body. He's a pretty nice guy. He was merely trying to illustrate the guy's mannerinsms.

If I told you some guy put his hand on his hip and shoved the other hand in my face, you'd likely assume what invader said about him.

So, lay off the guy...there's nothing homophobic about him. Some of you people need to take some desensitivity pills and chill the {censored} out.

EG

Are you his lawyer? Or are you a representative of the pharmaceutical industry? Or both? :poke:

• Members

Oh for {censored}'s sake, the guy isn't homophobic. He's just an idiot who thinks that saying "lol he was gay!" will make him seem more sympathetic, somehow.

EG

Be that as it may, it was still a pretty piss poor choice of words. What if I was telling a story about a shop and said "at this time I noticed that that shopkeeper was black. Not that it matters, but he was black and was acting black." Pretty stupid, huh?

• Members

So if he'd been told off by a deep-voiced unmistakably hetty character -- who ALSO objected to his using a metal pick on an expensive guitar -- this would've been different HOW, exactly?

The OP would still have been in the wrong -- but he wouldn't have had a cheering section.

So if he'd been told off by a deep-voiced unmistakably hetty character -- who ALSO objected to his using a metal pick on an expensive guitar -- this would've been different HOW, exactly?

Well then that would have been me as the clerk. It would still have been funny because I would have been mad and short.... At least until I form the "don't hate me because I'm short political action group.

No, you don't use a metal pick on a guitar that isn't yours without asking ought to go without saying.

And there wasn't any need to point out this fellows effeminate characteristics, other than to paint the "funny" picture. Not all of us do Monty Python well, however.

Archived