Just got kicked out of a guitar store

Invader.CC

• Members
.I still have no idea what he is talking about and he says just leave so i start myself out of the store but i finally got to ask what did i do to offend him..

He starts bitching at me because i play with a shaved down quarter for a pick like many blues players.. He was going on about how it can damage or break strings..I left without saying another word in total disbelief...
:facepalm:

This was a nice shaggy-dog story. You had me until the metal-pick part, when I immediately switched my sympathy to the owner. :D

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
After seeing the above cartoon i got to thinking about it..The gentlemen that was running the store looked very much like the teacher from Southpark in manner and dress..The picture in my avatar is me and i stand 6 foot 4 inches tall and a pretty muscular 240 pounds...If someone would have took a picture of him standing there with his hand in my face it probably would have been a very humorous picture..

you're right, your potential hate crime would be very humorous. :facepalm:

• Members
I try to respond and he puts one hand on his hip and the other in my face like to silence me from answering..

You are a big tall strapping man...he wanted you. You know it.:lol:

And since he couldn't have you, he became threatened and butthurt:cry: (no pun intended).

...And I think john_p_t wants you too.....:eek:

• Members

Music stores are not good places to try to hang out in. They want you to buy something. But thats just my opinion.

Here is a story, has nothing to do with the original post or other replies:

I was in Guitar Center one time and a responsible looking guy with a shirt that looked like a employees shirt is trying out an expensive $1200 powered mixer. So he is holding a $1500 guitar and asks me to hold it for him while he hooks up the pa to play...I tell the guy the guitar is too expensive for me to mess with..he insists... I asked the guy , "do you work here?" , he says yes. I hold it while he hooks up cables, then give him the guitar so he can play..Then he proceeds to take the main speaker out line from the powered mixer and plug it into a $1300 power amp input, well thats obviously wrong and of course it was set high...I tried to tell the guy..but he would not listen...so it blasts the entire store with bad sounding hum and a little bit of guitar.....the manager comes running in, the guy as it turns out was not an employee. Manager asks me where he got the guitar, I told him he said he was an employee. I doubt that it did the powered mixer or crown amp or the $1100 JBL speakers any good...luckily the guitar was not damaged, and no one got mad at me...Manager is red faced and tells customer to let employees hook up gear and get guitars.. ..alleged customer who was simply not concerned about the blunder..slides away...

But he could play guitar very well.....

was it hendrix reincarnate if so pm me

• Members

I noticed at this time that this guy had certain female qualities to his talk and manner plus had that kind of whiny way about him..Which makes no difference to me ..Its not my thing but to each there own..

If it made no difference you wouldn't have mentioned it. You're trying to play the macho bull{censored} card.

For some reason based on your obvious bias against the guy, I think that maybe, just maybe, there's part of the story missing. Most likely the part when you copped an attitude with the guy when he told you not to use a metal pick on the high end guitars in the store and instead of complying, you bitched and moaned until he asked you to leave.

I just have an odd feeling based on your obvious content for what you perceive to be his less than masculine manner (typical macho testosterone laden bull{censored}) that you're leaving something out.

• Members
For some reason based on your obvious bias against the guy, I think that maybe, just maybe, there's part of the story missing.

If his telling of the story is accurate, then the guy just freaked out when he used a quarter. Invader c.c. did nothing to show ANY bias against the guy. He pointed out that the guy was effeminate and implied that he might be gay. How is that a bias, based on his actions?

You want him to be all homophobic cuz he pointed a personal trait? To the point of calling him a liar? Whew....loooong stretch there, bud.:cop:

I just have an odd feeling based on your obvious content for what you perceive to be his less than masculine manner (typical macho testosterone laden bull{censored}) that you're leaving something out.

What if it is YOU that has the bias against tall people with beards that look mean and gruff and play blues with a quarter? He is a guy and that means he has testosterone. Not his fault. Neither is being tall and looking gruff. And playing blues with a quarter is an artistic choice. Sounds like YOU and the storekeep are the ones with the bias.

And if it went down the way he said, then the storekeep overreacted. Most likely due to the fact that he felt threatened by the big hairy man who plays blues with a quarter. He might even be trying to keep the "wrong element" out of his store....trying to keep it a "family friendly environment", and the pick was just an excuse.

Gay bashing and overreacting to effeminate personality traits are never good. And I don't see (again, if his story is accurate) that happening here.

• Members

Perhaps two things should have been different here. Rather than using the quarter, a bit more respect for the guitar and the shop by using a normal pick would have prevented the blow-up and more restraint on the part of the clerk would have smoothed things over.

• Members

Yes.

That is a hypocritical POV. The same logic says that if you look at a man with a wedding ring on holding hands with a woman, and make the assumption that they are straight, they you are being heterophobic.

Doesn't make sense.

• Members

That is a hypocritical POV. The same logic says that if you look at a man with a wedding ring on holding hands with a woman, and make the assumption that they are straight, they you are being heterophobic.

Doesn't make sense.

Nope. He was telling a story about a guy who kicked him out of a guitar store for playing with a quarter, and he felt the need to bring up an aspect of the man's manner which has absolutely {censored} ALL to do with the story he was telling. Further, it implied that there was something negative about said mannerisms, because if it were a positive trait (to him) he wouldn't have brought it up. Your point is good. Do you see people saying "I noticed by the way he wore his wedding ring and acted macho, he was straight...yada yada..what an asshole...". No....they don't feel the need to comment at all. Someone who ISN'T homophobic would not have mentioned it period.

So sorry...being homophobic isn't just about blurting out the word fag. It's about using a stereotype to reinforce judgment of an individual. He was being homophobic.

• Members

Nope. He was telling a story about a guy who kicked him out of a guitar store for playing with a quarter, and he felt the need to bring up an aspect of the man's manner which has absolutely {censored} ALL to do with the story he was telling. Further, it implied that there was something
negative
about said mannerisms, because if it were a positive trait (to him) he wouldn't have brought it up. Your point is good. Do you see people saying "I noticed by the way he wore his wedding ring and acted macho, he was straight...yada yada..what an asshole...". No....they don't feel the need to comment at all. Someone who ISN'T homophobic would not have mentioned it period.

So sorry...being homophobic isn't just about blurting out the word fag. It's about using a stereotype to reinforce judgment of an individual. He was being homophobic.

Bingo.

The people defending his attitude are, in all likelihood of exactly the same homophobic mindset.

• Members

Bingo indeed. It's not rocket science this.

"I was in a store the other day, and the sales clerk, well, you know it's not my thing, but I don't mind or anything, but he was all like black. Anyway, so I picked up one of the guitars..."

• Members

What if it is YOU that has the bias against tall people with beards that look mean and gruff and play blues with a quarter? He is a guy and that means he has testosterone. Not his fault. Neither is being tall and looking gruff. And playing blues with a quarter is an artistic choice. Sounds like YOU and the storekeep are the ones with the bias.

Except for the fact that I never mentioned his looks. All I mentioned was his obvious bull{censored} macho personality that comes through clearly in his post.

Playing blues with a quarter is an artistic choice if you own the guitar. Playing blues with a quarter on a guitar owned by someone else (little hint, a quarter is far more likely to scratch the finish on said guitar if you're not careful than a plastic pick is).

Common sense tells you that if you're playing someone elses gear, whether it's an individual or a store, you treat it with more respect and care than you do your own. See, here's a little hint for you . . . I use a metal pick myself. Made from a coin. I've actually posted about it here in the past.

Guess what . . . when I am at a store testing out a new guitar, I leave it at home and take my 1.00mm ultex pick or something similar.

It's called common courtesy. But it's obvious from your attitude (and the OP's) that both of you lack common courtesy. Otherwise you (a) wouldn't support posing unnecessary risk to others equipment; and (b) wouldn't feel that mentioning some perceived issue with the store clerks sexuality was pertinent to the alleged story.

As has already been said by others. . . . the way the OP told the story (and the way you support him) says far more about the two of you than it does about the store employee.

• Members

Bingo indeed. It's not rocket sceince this.

"I was in a store the other day, and the sales clerk, well, you know it's not my thing, but I don't mind or anything, but he was all like
black
. Anyway, so I picked up one of the guitars..."

Didn't you know? Gay or Arabic is the new black. It's all the rage in people to be biased against these days. Who knows what group is next.

There's a thin line between love and hate.

I've read this carefully and I don't think the OP is a bad guy and in fact sounds like a player I'd like to trade licks with. Finding a good guitarist to jam with can be harder than finding quality friends to hang with.

However, there can be no doubt that one of the visuals in the story was that the store clerk was being portrayed as effeminate. While that does not necessarily mean he was gay, it was certainly a highlighted part of the story.

In a piece of literature, that detail would have been impossible to leave out if you wanted to paint an accurate picture of the incident. Adjectives like black, Spanish, Jewish, Arabic, Japanese, autistic, married, male, female etc are perfectly good descriptive words and allow for the reader to more readily understand the intent of the author. However, we are a society that is sensitive to the properties of adjectives particularly when used to demean members of any group. If the joke were simply at the expense of a tightly strung effeminate man, it could possibly pass and actually be humorous. But if the joke is, he's so lame because he's gay, the construct changes.

In day to day real life I don't believe in 0 tolerance policies of any kind. I believe that leads to censorship and a neglect of honest dialogue and a loss of the education that can lead to. However, on this forum we do have a 0 tolerance policy about demeaning people simply because they are of a particular demographic.

Please take this as a teaching moment. The joke can be about the characteristic up to the point where the characteristic is being used to denigrate a particular demographic.

To say a man was lazy is appropriate. To hint that his laziness is the result of being part of a certain race, not so much.

It's a thin line.

• Members

I use metal picks a lot.

I wouldn't use them on a friends or shop guitar.

I own guitars with metal pick damage...they ain't pretty.

But I do carry plastic picks as well, as a mark of respect to other players who kindly let me play their guitars.

It's just common sense.

:thu:

• Members

You didn't get kicked out, you left yourself... Why start with a lie?

And that's what makes me suspicious about the rest of your story, and the 'certain female qualities' remarks don't really support your case either. You might have an attitude problem...

Archived