Just got kicked out of a guitar store

Invader.CC

• Members

This is good..I was in an area of town dropping off some demos to a couple of places that have requested demo's and booking info for our band...Anyway on the way to the place i passed up a guitar store and like always when i see a store i never been in before made a mental note to stop in on the way back...

Upon walking up to the store i noticed a couple things..One was that it had very nice woodwork on the outside of the windows and a very nice window display..What this told me is this may be a little more upscale then what i am used to..

So in i go and i was right..It catered more towards high end acoustics Martin ,Taylor,Guild,Breedlove..The manager was speaking to a older lady and what i assumed was her son ..I kinda of overheard the conversation the kid was wearing a slipknot shirt and the store person was telling the mother how if the kid wanted to learn to play guitar he must learn the basics first and start by learning classical guitar and sight reading..I'm a guitar instructor also and although there is some merit to this i do not believe it is the only way to learn to play the guitar. But this was non of my business..So i nodded and walked on..

Well a few minutes later the previous mentioned person asked if he could help me...I asked if i could check out this PRS amp that i had never seen before and also wanted to take a look at a Yamaha hollow body with a little to high of a price but not unreasonable..He went and got me a cable and set the amp at volume levels that he felt was appropriate..I noticed at this time that this guy had certain female qualities to his talk and manner plus had that kind of whiny way about him..Which makes no difference to me ..Its not my thing but to each there own..

Well i settle in and start playing..He comes back a few minutes later ask what i think i start to respond when all of a sudden his eyes go wide open and he in a loud manner says what do you think you are doing..I'm like totally struck by his change in character and start looking around for some one else doing something when he yanks the guitar out of my hands and shuts down the amp.. He starts going on about how i could come into his store and risk damage to one of his guitars and who do i think i am...Realize i still have no idea what he is talking about..I try to respond and he puts one hand on his hip and the other in my face like to silence me from answering...I still have no idea what he is talking about and he says just leave so i start myself out of the store but i finally got to ask what did i do to offend him..

He starts bitching at me because i play with a shaved down quarter for a pick like many blues players.. He was going on about how it can damage or break strings..I left without saying another word in total disbelief...:facepalm:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
If I ran a store I wouldn't want people playing my high end stuff with metal picks either.
:idk:

He could have handled it way better though. Like, "hey, please use this regular pick".

Or he could have said oh no non on non o you don't mister with that whiny voice. :idk:

• Members

If I ran a store I wouldn't want people playing my high end stuff with metal picks either.
:idk:

He could have handled it way better though. Like, "hey, please use this regular pick".

^ this

although i bet he would have let you play a little longer if you would have batted your eyes at him and talked real sweet to him;)

• Members

The thing that struck me most was the total over reaction..I do not want to come off as conceited...But when i pick up and play a guitar i feel it is somewhat obvious i know my way around the guitar..

I can understand that using a shaved quarter as a pick in some peoples eyes may not be the gentlest way to treat a guitar..The way this gentlemen was acting was as if i was standing on the neck ala Stevie ray Vaughan making wah noises..

• Members
The thing that struck me most was the total over reaction..I do not want to come off as conceited...But when i pick up and play a guitar i feel it is somewhat obvious i know my way around the guitar..

I can understand that using a shaved quarter as a pick in some peoples eyes may not be the gentlest way to treat a guitar..The way this gentlemen was acting was as if i was standing on the neck ala Stevie ray Vaughan making wah noises..

One bad move and the store loses a few hundred dollars. But I wasn't there, so :idk:

• Members

I've run into a lot of pricks and a lot of cool folks at guitar stores. I just avoid the ones with the former and patronize the ones with the latter. 'Course, it probably helps that I'm old (52). I think most guitar store owners are likely more polite with us seniors...

• Members

I know you are joking here and it is all in good fun ..But in case some don't understand ..Playing with a shaved quarter if you are used to playing that way is no more damaging to a guitar then any other steel pick which many Blues,Bluegrass and country music players use...

It is no tougher on the strings the a 2.0 pick a metal player uses..Not only that there was a time that all thumb and finger picks were made from metal..

Mostly it was the total over reaction that i found unusual..Of all the things a music store owner and manager has to worry about and accomplished musician using metal pick should be very low on the list...

• Members

What the hell is using a quarter for a pick going to do to a guitar?
:confused:

EG

Nothing as long as you do not dig into the strings with them..Understand these are quarters that i shape into traditional pick shape..Wither it is true or not i feel it makes me faster and more accurate with my picking..

One thing is certain there is a distinct difference in tone between a standard pick and a metal pick no matter if it is a quarter or a factory made metal pick...

• Members

I'm a guitar instructor ..

when i pick up and play a guitar i feel it is somewhat obvious i know my way around the guitar...

i play with a shaved down quarter for a pick...

I noticed at this time that this guy had certain female qualities...

So this thread is really about how a hotshot like you got reprimanded by a gay guy. :facepalm:

It happens. Welcome to planet Earth.

• Members

I know you are joking here and it is all in good fun ..But in case some don't understand ..Playing with a shaved quarter if you are used to playing that way is no more damaging to a guitar then any other steel pick which many Blues,Bluegrass and country music players use...

It is no tougher on the strings the a 2.0 pick a metal player uses..Not only that there was a time that all thumb and finger picks were made from metal..

Mostly it was the total over reaction that i found unusual..Of all the things a music store owner and manager has to worry about and accomplished musician using metal pick should be very low on the list...

The problem is they don't know you from adam. A clumsy fool who regularly hits the guitar top with his clumsy strumming may walk in with a metal pick too.

• Members

After seeing the above cartoon i got to thinking about it..The gentlemen that was running the store looked very much like the teacher from Southpark in manner and dress..The picture in my avatar is me and i stand 6 foot 4 inches tall and a pretty muscular 240 pounds...If someone would have took a picture of him standing there with his hand in my face it probably would have been a very humorous picture..

• Members

The problem is they don't know you from adam. A clumsy fool who regularly hits the guitar top with his clumsy strumming may walk in with a metal pick too.

This.

Though I think the manager's reaction was way over the top, he was well within his rights, and reason, to not want people playing with a metal pick on instruments he is trying to sell. A better response would have been for him to ask you to please use a plastic pick since, I'm assuming, you were not just {censored}ing around with a metal pick, it's your standard hardware for playing.

Archived