G String Bending Issue On New Guitar

Gutterflower

• Members

Hi everybody,

I purchased an 89 Fender HM Strat on eBay several weeks ago. The guitar is great, but there is one small issus which I am unsure about. I was playing an Epiphone SG previously, and was easily able to bend the first three strings up to at least a whole step. On my new HM however, I seem to be able to do this on only the first two strings. The G string will only bend up a half step. I can not seem to find a reason for this. Can somebody enlighten me? I am using 11 gauge strings on both guitars, but I do not think that the issue is related to sting gauge. The only thing I can think of is that it may be related to the neck scale. Any ideas? Thanks!

• Members

You mean you can't physically push the string that high? :confused: Strats have a longer scale than SG's. The scale being the distance between the nut and the bridge. The long scale on most Fenders (compared to Gibsons) means that the strings are under more tension and are therefore harder to bend. To remedy the problem, you could switch to lighter gauge strings or tune down one or two half-steps. 11's on a Fender in standard tuning is pretty 'beefy' for most players. I used to do it when I was in a band, but I played rhythm mostly. Another option is to just keep working at it and build your hand strength up until you can hit that note. :idea::thu:

If the g string is being "deadened" by a high fret or something, then that's a setup issue. If you don't know how to do it yourself, it's usually worth the $$ to take it to a repairman and have it checked out.

• Members

You mean you can't physically push the string that high?
:confused:
Strats have a longer scale than SG's. The scale being the distance between the nut and the bridge. The long scale on most Fenders (compared to Gibsons) means that the strings are under more tension and are therefore harder to bend. To remedy the problem, you could switch to lighter gauge strings or tune down one or two half-steps. 11's on a Fender in standard tuning is pretty 'beefy' for most players. I used to do it when I was in a band, but I played rhythm mostly. Another option is to just keep working at it and build your hand strength up until you can hit that note.
:idea::thu:

If the g string is being "deadened" by a high fret or something, then that's a setup issue. If you don't know how to do it yourself, it's usually worth the $$ to take it to a repairman and have it checked out.

this basically. also, 11s are pretty high gage if you're looking to do some intense bending. Maybe check into some hybrid sets? or downtune?

• Members

?

So are you saying you are bending it down, towards the floor, and running out of fretboard??

Why don't you bend it up, like you have to do on the top 2 (1st and 2nd strings)

The difference is big though when going from a 24 3/4 to a 25 1/2 scale.

• Members

I used to use 11's on a 24.75'' scale ibanez guitar I played for 3 years. Didn't really have a problem with bending and could get 3 steps easily on the high E. However, I recently upgraded to a 25.5'' scale ESP and now I'm considering dropping back down to 10's as the extra tension is really fighting against me even with the 0.5mm lower action advantage with the ESP. In fact the reason I changed to 11's on my Ibanez was due to the fact I didn't have ENOUGH tension on the strings with 10's.

During holiday bouts where I play the guitar anywhere from 2 to 7 hours a day the string gauge starts to become a non issue as my hand endurance builds again, but after 12 weeks straight of only light playing, coming back to serious composing with 11's is proving difficult. Instead of focusing on my playing I'm contemplating faults with my instrument (which probably don't exist) during this 'break in' period.

As for the tremolo locking/spring suggestion... I actually leave mine floating because I feel like the strings are easier to bend albeit having to bend them further. With the trem locked it seems I only have to bend them slightly (distance wise) but it feels like a cheese grater on my fingers... If you're into double stops and whatnot you really don't have a choice though.

• Members

I suspect that it is due to the trem giving way before the note will reach a whole step. It has three springs in it right now, so maybe if I put one more in, it will provide enough tension. Strangely though, I had another person hold the trem in place while I tried bending, and it still would not make it far enough. It definitely it not a matter of the strings being too heavy gauge, as I can bend that sucker way up to the edge (either the top or bottom, though I typically bend up) of the fretboard and it still result in only a half step change. Anyway, thanks for the input.

Archived