GFS Strat pickups

CrazyRocketGuy

• Members

Hey all,

I am thinking about adding some life to an old sx strat that is collecting dust in a closet. I was looking for affordable pickups and I always hear stuff on GFS pickups, maybe one of their wired pickguards. I was looking at their Vintage set. Anyone have experience with that set or any other from GFS that they have been impressed with? I would definitely like to go low output vintage though. Thanks.

• Members

Hey all,

I am thinking about adding some life to an old sx strat that is collecting dust in a closet. I was looking for affordable pickups and I always hear stuff on GFS pickups, maybe one of their wired pickguards. I was looking at their Vintage set. Anyone have experience with that set or any other from GFS that they have been impressed with? I would definitely like to go low output vintage though. Thanks.

Rose Pickups Meriposas, $30 bucks and awsome... excuse my playing though:facepalm:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

The vintage clearance single coils sound pretty good. It brings the sound up close to the quality level of a Squire (but not better than a ceramic single coil Squire). Clearance vintage come on the wired pickguards.
If you want better sound than that you might want to buy just one Fender Custom Shop Single coil..Fat 50, CS69 ect, and go with one good pickup and keep the rest SX..... Or buy Fender a Tex Mex set to get close to a MIM sound...or a set of used Fender MIM pickups.

• Members

Hey all,

I've just bought my first GFS strat pickups - they haven't come yet but they're a set of Jimi reverse staggers and a set of grey-bottom nonstaggers. One's going in a Korean Squier strat I really like and the other's going in a project guitar. From what I read I anticipate being happy with them.

• Members

Okay so the prewired pickups aren't the "GFS" pickups, but what about a set of their Premium Alnico Strat pickups? Any good things to say about them?

Yes. They are very good pickups. I have used several sets in different builds and they do sound very good.

• Members

I've got a set of Neovins that I love, but I take it that they're more pricey than you want.

Personally, I'd check craigslist for sets pulled from MIM strats; they often go for very little, and they'd be a sizeable step up.

• Members

I had a set of gfs overwound greybottoms I liked a lot.

If bg-pups.com still has the sale on v60's going, you would do well to get those instead. Actually, you would be better off with those period, but for $100, you really can't get a better set.

Archived