Pre-slotted Nut ??

crazyman123

• Members

Hi

I am about to buy a Tusq Pre-slotted nut for my Strat.

I understand that I may need to file the it down a bit to fit in the neck slot, but will I have to file the actual string slots at all?

I am assuming I will not as it has be Pre-slotted, but I am just asking for reassurance.

Thanks, any help will be appreciated. :)

• Members

Hi

I am about to buy a Tusq Pre-slotted nut for my Strat.

I understand that I may need to file the it down a bit to fit in the neck slot, but will I have to file the actual string slots at all?

I am assuming I will not as it has be Pre-slotted, but I am just asking for reassurance.

Thanks, any help will be appreciated.
:)

Don't get a "blank" and your fine. I see you're getting pre-slotted, I recommend Graptech Tusq. XL has Teflon and they have a graphite nut as well which have inherent lubricating properties That allow the strings to glide over the nut facilitating bending and tremelo movement.

• Members

Yes, unless you like a guitar that has high nut action.

No...

The slots will generally be fine in those, but you're gonna have to file off some of the bottom and possibly a bit of the side to get it to fit just right. It won't just drop in and be a perfect fit.

• Members

No...

The slots will generally be fine in those, but you're gonna have to file off some of the bottom and possibly a bit of the side to get it to fit just right. It won't just drop in and be a perfect fit.

this.

I had to sand a lot of the sides down just so it didnt stick out each end and look goofy. I got my nut to look almost exacty the same as the one on my 52RI Tele. THe slots were fine.

Just make sure you get the right one, some import Fenders (Squier CVC for one) have flat bottoms...If youre not sure get one with a tab you can use them for both flat or curved

• Members

If you get a pre slotted nut from grahtech, you just sand the bottom off till you have the height you want.

I recommend setting it without glue first, string the guitar all the way up and check how high the strings are off the first fret. It does not need to be very high actually, and if your nut slot is like mine, you will need to sand off quite a bit from the bottom of the new nut.

When you get it right, just put a few drops of super glue in the slot and string it up.

Graph tech black xl nuts are simply great for strats. It's very close to the stability you get with a floyd. Amazing what it will do for a Strat with a trem.

Archived