ES 335 vs ES 339 body measurements

MediaMan09

• Members

Does anyone have body measurements for the ES-335 for comparison purposes to the ES-339 below?

ES 339 / 335

Total Height = 39.75" / ???

Body Height = 17" / ??

Width (ear to ear) = 9.875" / ??

Width (at narrowest) = 8.25" / ??

Width (at widest) = 14.25" / ??

Ref for ES-339 measurements coutesy GuitarJunkie (on Gibson forum)

es-339.jpg

• Members

Can't help that much. 16" at the lower bout (vs. the 339's 14.25"). 20" from cutaway to tail (vs. the 339's 17")

But you stated in the other thread you want a bigger body. Well, the 336 and the 339 aren't much larger than a Les Paul (the 339 is about 1" wider a the lower bout), so you can guess the size. 335's are huge for some people (obviously those people don't play acoustics).

ES339_FrontToBack_335.jpg

trio.jpg

• 9 years later...
  • Members

Hi sir.. may i know what is a ''Shaft"?if you buy guitar pick up soap bar
.. and there is a selection if you choose for a Les paul(long) or Strat(short)...
i have no idea,, any idea about it?...thank you sir

"Shaft" usually refers to the length of the stem on a volume or tone control. 

Here is a picture of a long shaft potentiometer (on the left), and a short shaft potentiometer. Some guitar bodies are thicker than others in the area where the controls are mounted, and so they have to use long shaft pots in order for the stem to reach far enough through the body and still have enough sticking out to mount the control knobs on. 

Alpha_Control_Pots.jpg

Some pickups have long or short mounting legs - again, this is so they'll fit into either shallow or deeper pickup cavities that are routed into the body. If you have a shallow cavity for the pickup, you need to use a pickup with short legs. On guitars with a deeper cavity, you can use either short or long legs. 

Here are a couple of pictures from the Seymour Duncan website showing the difference between long legs (top) and short legs on a humbucker pickup baseplate. 

-mg-7571.jpg

-mg-7568.jpg

I hope this answers your question. :)

Welcome to Harmony Central. :welcome:

• Members

I'm not really sure what's happening here, but I own a Les Paul and a ES335. Once you get used to the size of the ES 335, Les Paul's feel a bit small.

Never played a ES 339, but I have played  Heritage Prospect, which is very nice and I think the size of the ES 339, with a slightly different shape. 

Don't forget about the CE 336, which a 339 with a carved top.

All of it is really nice. 

The Gibson Henry years were amazing for stuff like this. The JC Gibson years will be just as amazing if not more so.

The last Gibson I bought was a ES 275. I was looking for a full hollowbody Gibson and the timing was right. Killer Phil review , money burning a hole in my pocket. The neck is slick as anything on a Les Paul

Archived