How to get the Vox AC30 sound without the Vox AC30

guitarboyled

• Members

LoL, I just put an ad on Kijiji last night for my Liverpool, check it out.

There's the Carl Martin AC-Tone as well, that one is meant to be plugged into the amp like a regular pedal. The Liverpool still sounds good like that (unlike the California, shhh) but it can replace the amp for direct recording and such.

• Members

So the Liverpool has a built-in amp? I can go directly to speakers or headphone?

Can it also be used like a standard pedal between my guitar and my amp?

It acts as a preamp, standard pedal, DI box, direct to recording, etc...

I'm not sure about headphones, that thing has enough output to drive a power amp. If you keep the level low enough, it could work.

I plug my two pedals in a mixer right now.

vvvvvvvv

• Members

My old first-generation Vox Valvetronix AD120VT gets scarily close to what I remember from the various early 60s AC30s (blue piggyback, pair of blond combos) I used in the late '70s.

• Members

If you haven't played around with a Line 6 PODxt or POD X3, using the "1967 Class A-30 Top Boost" amp model, you should check it out. A used PODxt Live can be usually found on CL for ~$150 these days.

• Members

I've got a Vox AD30VT.

VERY good AC30 and AC15 sounds...maybe not identical to an actual AC30 or 15, but individual amps of the same model vary in sound from example to example.

The Vox does a great job of nailing a really pleasing AC30 ish/15 ish sound that is just a great sound!

:thu:

• Members

The Vox modelling Valvetronix (AD30 and AD15 etc) do get a good passable immitation of that sound. But as a previous owner of the AD30VT I can say this is only at low volumes...typical of all the modelling stuff I've owned and used over the years they all sound fake at band volumes IMO.

The Laney VC30 is a good AC30 ish sound for sure...not 100% there but definately in that ballpark. Owned the VC30 in 2x12 and 2x10 combos. I know own an Vox AC30C2 and previously owned an AC30/6TB with Greenbacks. I actually found the VC30 had believe it or not more chime and sparkle on cleans than my AC30's!! Go figure that one!

• Members

My old first-generation Vox Valvetronix AD120VT gets scarily close to what I remember from the various early 60s AC30s (blue piggyback, pair of blond combos) I used in the late '70s.

My old man still has his half stack of this amp and it does do the AC30 thing very well (and very loud if need be). And to be honest they aren't going for ridiculous amounts of money if you can find a used one.

• Members

The Vox modelling Valvetronix (AD30 and AD15 etc) do get a good passable immitation of that sound. But as a previous owner of the AD30VT I can say this is only at low volumes...typical of all the modelling stuff I've owned and used over the years they all sound fake at band volumes IMO.

The Laney VC30 is a good AC30 ish sound for sure...not 100% there but definately in that ballpark. Owned the VC30 in 2x12 and 2x10 combos. I know own an Vox AC30C2 and previously owned an AC30/6TB with Greenbacks. I actually found the VC30 had believe it or not more chime and sparkle on cleans than my AC30's!! Go figure that one!

IMO neither the 15 or 30 will cut it AT ALL with a drummer.

It would need to be one of the big boy AD's.

:thu:

Archived