Kahler question, problem. Dean Hollywood Z

karma279

• Members

I worked a restoration of a junk 80's Dean Hollywood Z, a slow restoration, and recently took it to be set up. It has a Kahler on it and this is my first time dealing with one, it's got a lock-nut as well (first time for one of those). I can't keep it tuned. I believe the problem is the tuning screws on the tremolo may be stripped out a bit? I can turn them and push a little and fine tune but they don't act like they want to hold. I'm not familiar with these at all...

Any help/advice?

DeanZ-1.jpg

DeanZBody.jpg

DeanZHeadstock.jpg

• Members

Kahlers are an entirely different breed to Floyds. I believe the strings are not actually locked at the trem end and it's quite common to have tuning stability problems if you don't pay close attention to a variety of things. I'm actually planning to install one in a custom build and from the online maintenance material I've read they don't seem quite as straight forward as a Floyd. I'm sure it's a just a familiarity thing though.

You best be searching wammiworld for maintenance/repair advice.

• Members

See it'll "hold" tune... I think... but the problem is, I tune it a little low and then lock the nut in place, which brings it a bit sharp. But I can't fine-tune with the screws on the trem. I'm thinking they strip maybe? I don't understand how it works..

Archived