Amps, the cleanest clean. Anything better than fender's twin reverb?

billybilly

• Members

Hi. I am a pedal man, and like most, am on the quest for the ultimate tone. I need lots of headroom and rate amps by how good they sound clean. I have read good things about the 65 reverb reissue. Tube not actually a necessity, nor is size of the amp (wattage). Just want some recommendations for the cleanest sounding amp you have encountered. From there I will be going to music stores to try them out.

Any help is appreciated,

billy

• Members

Well, the Twin is 85 watts. I don't mean to open a can of worms here, but watts is watts. It's the manner in which they reproduce sound that makes them sound different.

If you want really clean cleans then either the Twin or the JC120 will probably be your best bet. Randall makes really good hybrid amps that have nice cleans.

• Members

Tube wise, the Twin is a pretty dang clean, all frequencies present, clean. Industry standard. 100 watts tho'. But headroom is how a twin achieves its clean ass clean.

And the Roland JC120 is the standard in solid state land.

Although, I played a Pritchard recently and was kinda stunned....'spensive tho'!

• Members

I'll throw out there MusicMan amps. I own an HD130. Clean headroom for days, with clean tones reminiscent of a Fender. Solid state pres with tube power sections, so you can get that sag and compression without it actually distorting. Takes pedals really well. I usually use a tube preamp/pedal in front of mine for the overdrive and it works really well.

You'll only find them used, but they are a really good value on the used market.

• Members

I'll throw out there MusicMan amps. I own an HD130. Clean headroom for days, with clean tones reminiscent of a Fender. Solid state pres with tube power sections, so you can get that sag and compression without it actually distorting. Takes pedals really well. I usually use a tube preamp/pedal in front of mine for the overdrive and it works really well.

You'll only find them used, but they are a really good value on the used market.

+1

And they're bullet proof.

Archived