MiM Strats have gone from $250 to $350+ on craigslist in the last year

PancakeBunny

• Members

What in the {censored}. Bought my MiM Strat which I don't have anymore... last year for around $270.

The going rate was around $250-300 and now you don't see any for under $325-350. Some as high as $400 or higher.

What the {censored} gives? It seems like the prices of everything on craigslist has gone up while the quality has gone down.

• Members

They're still really cheap on CL around me (Chicago/Rockford). I mean there are some guys asking $400 and such, but you can definitely find some for less than $300, in fact I'm looking at buying one that's $195.

• Members

The ones i have posted are a tad high but there are MIMs are constantly posted for $450 used on my local kijiji and CL, and if a newbie comes around, goes to L&M and sees $500 + tax new, and goes home and punches mim strat into CL and sees $450, chances are they are going to be a sucker.

• Members

The reason they have gone up in price is real simple ..Fender raised the price on the MIM Standard Strat to roughly $470 at Guitar center and Musicians friend..So because of the price increase on new Strats the used strats have gone up with them...

I bought a 2008 MIM Fat Strat new from guitar center in 2008 for $320 out the door i have no doubt that if i pulled my John Suhr V60's out of the neck and mid and the pearly gate out of the bridge and put the original pickups back in i could get what i paid for that strat today on the used market...

• Members

Why do people talk about Craigslist like it's some sort of retail store? They don't sell guitars, or anything else, and they don't set the prices on anything. All they do is list classifieds. The people who sell things there are individuals who have nothing to do with each other, and little or no influence on one another's pricing. There's no point in complaining about it, and there's nobody to complain to.

• Members

My area's craigslist mostly has MIM strats listed at $325-$350. Some boneheads list at $400-$450 but I doubt they're getting that; see lots of those ads recycle week after week. $300 isn't unusual, $250 is rare but happens. With the news hiked up I'd expect the used MIMs to rise some more once people are back at work.

• Members

09 to present are more because of the upgrades. Tinted neck and MIM on the back of the headstock.
Many sellers just try to make a little extra off newbs that don't know the difference.
I sold an 08 for $350. Tried to sell for $400 with upgraded pickups but no takers so I put the stock pickups back in and took the $350. Sold the pickups for $80

• Members

$250 tele: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/msg/1800746070.html

$250 strat: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/msg/1802250551.html

$200 strat: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/msg/1800878454.html

250 strat: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/msg/1800376013.html

I found these on the local CL in less than five minutes searching. I see ones like this virtually every day. I don't know if we're just lucky here in the Bay Area, or if you guys just have no patience, but between the $350 and > MIMs, there are a lot of deals like this...

• Members

Just remember...That is their asking price...Its NOT what they are getting...It normally takes those people a couple of listings to "learn" what they really go for.

That is exactly right. Just because someone is asking that much for a MIM does not mean someone is buying at that price.

I see crazy high MIM prices on my local craigslist, but I see the same guitars being listed every other day or so. That means no on is buying a MIM over $350 used. I for sure wouldn't.

• Members

The new price did go up, but the used price didn't. Check ebay. I've passed on a few MIMs in the last week or two that ended for under $200. People ask dumb {censored} prices for stuff all the time, just pop over to the classifieds for a few seconds. You can list it for $400 but you probably won't sell it for that. All they're doing is taking up space that could be better used by people asking a fair price for an instrument.

• Members

The new price did go up, but the used price didn't. Check ebay. I've passed on a few MIMs in the last week or two that ended for under $200. People ask dumb {censored} prices for stuff all the time, just pop over to the classifieds for a few seconds. You can list it for $400 but you probably won't sell it for that. All they're doing is taking up space that could be better used by people asking a fair price for an instrument.

if you sell a post-remodel MIM on ebay the prices ARE higher than others. for one of the post-remodel strats or teles I'd expect to get at least $340 - $350. maybe upwards of $400 if the seller gets lucky.

• Members

Everybody wants at least $350 for their MIM.

Nobody wants to buy a used one for more than $250.

Sucks if you are in a hurry (either to buy or sell), but such is life. Whether you're buying or selling you can be the person in a hurry, or you can wait around for the chance to take advantage of somebody else who is.

• Members

Just wondering, what year did MIMs go to the bigger trem blocks and better pups? I would think this would have some bearing on used price. Still anything more then $300 even for a newer one sounds high to me.

06 but not better pickups. Just block and electronics. CTS pots and same switch as MIA. 09 they strated using a tinted neck and put made in mexico on the back of the headstock not the front. Same ceramic pickups..

Archived