Variables that increase a guitar's articulation?

Tidal Rhythm

• Members

If you're trying to maximize the expressiveness/responsiveness/articulation of a guitar, what factors are related to that? Is it true underwound pickups (i.e. vintage ones) are more expressive than overwound ones? If you scoop the mids on your EQ, does that result in a more responsive tone? Any suggestions are appreciated.

• Members

Pick technique.

Digging in on an upstroke and getting under the string before striking it will really articulate a note. Fretting technique is right up there also.

Yeah, I'm a tone is in the fingers guy. :wave:

Underwound pickups generally add more definition too.

• Members

Well I think a 25.5 inch scale is more articulate than shorter scales. And yes lower output pickups are probably more articulate. The Les Paul recording guitar (below), probably because of its pickups and electronics is said to have been a very articulate sounding guitar.

!BgNqzbwCGk~$(KGrHqEH-DcEsN1!(JZzBLEcT6Q

• Members

some of it is just inherent to the particular guitar, I have several different Les Pauls, and outwardly they should be the same considering they all have the same materials and comstruction.

I have one that stands out above all the others, it sounds very clean and articulate unplugged, and the electrified tone of the guitar is the best I've ever heard.

Playing technique such as finger positioning, picking stroke angle, strength, and pick material, plus your strings make a huge difference as well.

• Members

If you scoop the mids on your EQ, does that result in a more responsive tone?

no, scooping mids leads to less articulate tone. live with full band, scooping mids buries yourself in the mix along with contributing to an overall muddy mix. if you are a very sloppy player and don't want the audience to notice, scooping mids is your best friend.

• Members

Picking and fretting technique is definitely huge - a lot of it is definitely in your hands. After all, YOU are the one articulating. But on the opposite side of the chord, some piece of gear seem to be better at translating what your fingers do into notes.

Honestly that's where I think a lot of the "mojo" in high end gear is...somehow more articulate and responsive to how you play. I'm not sure what factors do it - it's probably a combination of lots of little things. But it's not as simple as more treble or less bass or something like that. Frankly I think it's more in the amp than the guitar.

• Members

Picking and fretting technique is definitely huge - a lot of it is definitely in your hands. After all, YOU are the one articulating. But on the opposite side of the chord, some piece of gear seem to be better at translating what your fingers do into notes.

Honestly that's where I think a lot of the "mojo" in high end gear is...somehow more articulate and responsive to how you play. I'm not sure what factors do it - it's probably a combination of lots of little things. But it's not as simple as more treble or less bass or something like that.
Frankly I think it's more in the amp than the guitar.

I agree wholeheartedly, I can tell a significant difference with the articulation (and dynamics) in my Dr. Z as opposed to my AC-4

Archived