Build Help!

skynyrd99

• Members

Ok so I was thinking about building an lp jr with one p90 but then thought about it and with my limited funds have decided to try something with Agile Al-2000. It is a two humbucker model with a wine red finish. I am looking to sand this guy down and put a new finish(suggestions?), put in a hb sized p90, fill in the other bucker, and change out the rest of the hardware. As this is one of my first projects I'd really appreciate an advice, like is this plausible and if so what's the easiest route?

• Members

ok so I really need help on filling in the neck pickup cavity and sanding down the body. I really would prefer to sand by hand. I am going to purchase finish,polish, and clear coat from reranch.com. Any help would really be appreciated guys!

• Moderators

ok so I really need help on filling in the neck pickup cavity and sanding down the body. I really would prefer to sand by hand. I am going to purchase finish,polish, and clear coat from reranch.com. Any help would really be appreciated guys!

If you're serious about filling the neck pickup rout, in the first instancle you'll need to open it out to as near to a square as you pssibly can with very small radii in each corner.

This will make the filler block easier to shape

You could look in the HCEG blacktop thread where meandi filled a significant hole with a block and then painted over it.....or at least intends to, not sure where he's at at the moment:confused:

• Members

Ok so I was thinking about building an lp jr with one p90 but then thought about it and with my limited funds have decided to try something with Agile Al-2000. It is a two humbucker model with a wine red finish. I am looking to sand this guy down and put a new finish(suggestions?), put in a hb sized p90, fill in the other bucker, and change out the rest of the hardware. As this is one of my first projects I'd really appreciate an advice, like is this plausible and if so what's the easiest route?

AL2000=$225 plus shipping

I'd recommend instead just paying $24 more and getting an AD201.

ad201vwhite5.jpg

Comes in wine red or white. Already has two P-90s which sound very good (there's the $25 right there since you wouldn't have to replace the pickup) and it's more of a junior in look than a LP guitar that's been modded. Way less work (refinishing a guitar and filling a pickup route is major work) Also if you ever get tired of the guitar you can sell it on Ebay and get more of your money back than you would trying to sell a refinished heavily modded guitar.

If you really MUST have it be one pickup.... (doesn't make sense to me but a lot of what you're doing doesn't)...remove the neck pickup, and make a pickguard that covers the route....or you could just fill and refin and do all that hard work on THIS instead. At least it would look more like a junior and you wouldn't have to replace the pickup....and you'd have a spare neck pickup for other projects.

Another bonus is that I believe the Al2000 is a heavier guitar...and what about the 4 holes for the controls?

Archived