The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion

ESchmidt

• Members

I enjoyed it immensely when it first came out, but I probably have not listened to it ten times since 1995. For me, there's something about the Crowes that just did not hold up well ...

I echo your sentiments.

• Moderators

I echo your sentiments.

Now see I find the Crowes, who I've only really discovered in the last 2-3 years as sounding pretty timeless, but then I am a child of the 70s, so it all sounds pretty damn good to me

Almost how the Jeff beck Group would have sounded had they carrie don for a long period with Rod Stewart at the mic

• Members

Ditto on it falling into #2 behind Amorica. SHMC is maybe a bit more straight up rock and blues-rock, but Amorica is a great full-album composition. A bit of a precursor to Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot in some respects. A real shame that not many bought it or listened.

(Three Snakes and One Charm gets weirder and a bit less even, but there's good stuff in there. That's the last album before the old lineup broke up.)

• Members

Quite the coincidence, but I just picked up The Black Crowes - Greatest Hits 1990-1999: A Tribute to a Work in Progress. Probably missing a lot of great stuff, but it's the first CD I've gotten by them although I've meant to do so forever. I'll have to look for more live stuff, but so far, so good!

• Members

One of my all time favorites. Amazing album, and my favorite Black Crowes record.

get the freak n roll into the fog dvd

Fantastic live album, too. I hadn't listened to the Black Crowes in quite a while, but when I picked up Freak n Roll I thought "wow, I've been missing out." Great band.

• Members

I got that album when I was around 13. I remember my Mom was going to the mall so I asked her to pick up the CD. I honestly think I meant the one with Hard to Handle on it (Shake Your Money Maker), but I ended up with the Southern Harmony and Musical Companion. It's a great album.. IMO, a modern classic.

The Crowes have branched out musically since then. That was the peak of the early version of the band.

Archived