Need advise on PowerEngine 60 and wiring a passive jack to it

etawful

• Members

Has anyone done this?

I can currently get a Vox Nighttrain at a really good price, but don't have a cab for it. The only cab I have is really my PowerEngine 60.

I'm wondering if I could wire a passive jack to the Power Engine to run the Nighttrain through. I would think this would work pretty easily (especially since the Celestion speaker in the PE has an extra set of tabs that I could run the wires to (I presume these are there for running the speaker in series if you had a larger cab).

Anyone know if this would work? It seems like it would be pretty simple to accomplish.

• Members
It's probably doable. You just unplug the speakers and make a new wiring harness with a 1/4 input jack and there you go.

What do you use the PE60 for?

I run a Pod X3 Live through it. I also run a Toneport UX2 through it.

On very rare occasions, it serves as an expansion cab for my TM60.

I don't have a tube amp (and have never owned one actually). I just have a craving for one :).

• Members

It should work, your power amp section from your Vox will be utilized along with the power amp from the PE...not sure how that would come off...i had one i used with my Vox Tonelab ST and a Tech21 GT2 pedal...those PE's are great.

• Members
It should work, your power amp section from your Vox will be utilized along with the power amp from the PE...not sure how that would come off...i had one i used with my Vox Tonelab ST and a tech21 GT2 pedal...those PE's are great.

Oh no, you really can't plug the output of the Vox in the input of the Tech 21. :cop:

• Members

Yeah i figured that might not be cool...you can snatch a 1x12 cab used pretty cheap..

Yes, but if you connect a passive jack directly to the speaker, you simply leave the power off on the PE. You then have a passive cabinet that can be powered directly by the external amp.

• Members

Yes, but if you connect a passive jack directly to the speaker, you simply leave the power off on the PE. You then have a passive cabinet that can be powered directly by the external amp.

yeah i guess you can..give it a try.

• Members

I kinda miss it too. I can understand. Nice choice on the Vox, have you considered the Egnater Tweaker as well?

I can't get as good a deal on the Tweaker. I may just say to hell with the whole idea for now and just keep putting money aside.

• Members

A little combo is often not much more expensive, too.

That's true. I guess I could pick up an AC4TV or something for now. Or go really cheap and pick up the Bugera V5 (and hope I get one that works on the first try).

I'll have to think about that I guess.

• Members

A speaker is a speaker, is a speaker - as long as it's impedance matched to the amp output it should be no problem. However, you do need to DISCONNECT each amp from the speaker when you're using it with the other amp. The output circuitry from amp #1 is still across the speaker even though that amp is not on. You want the output from amp #2 to "see" only the speaker when it's connected.

Lots of ways to do this, but the simplest and easiest might be to just add an inline 1/4" jack and plug to the speaker leads if the amp doesn't already have an output jack. Or mount the jack on the cab. Just plug up which ever amp you're using at the time. That's pretty fail-safe.

Archived