"How Its Made" Taylor guitars.

Ralph onion

• Members

I know conventional thought is that hand-made is always better, but I have to confess that I really only care about whether the finished product is solid, playable, and has a sweet sound. I could care less about the process it took to get it that way.

• Members
I thought 4:02-4:32 was by far the best part of the vid.
:love:

Yes! Boobies...

I dont what the OP watched but I saw a lot of hands on stuff. Its all glued together by hand, the binding is glued by hand, they're sanded and buffed by hand

the way the OP makes it out is that a slab of wood goes in a giant machine at one end and a finished guitar comes out the other.

If they cut everyhting by hand these guitars would cost like $10,000 and take 6 months to make 1

• Members

Yeah, ain't it amazing how when you put a t-shirt on a robot it looks almost human!

But seriously, it takes a lot, A LOT, of HUMAN time, effort, skills and money to design, manufacture, install, set up, calibrate, test and maintain these "robots" to where PEOPLE can use them to rapidly and accurately produce parts and components that meet the criteria that SOMEONE with a lot of knowledge and experience has decided can be put together, by HUMANS (some with long hair and nice racks!) to make a great instrument.

Also, there are some robots that can QC wood thickness, pattern cut, density, moisture content, etc., but nothin' beats a good hand and an eye connected to an experienced brain to control the overall goodness. (This is not to say that the humans at, say...Gibson, always hire the proper other humans for this, but I digress...).

The mediaeval craft guilds are no more, but neither are there Jetson's/Spacely Sprockets-type guitar extrusion factories--even in China.

• Members

Got a personal tour of the Taylor factory from Bob Taylor. As a guy who really loves older, simpler guitar building practices, I asked a lot of questions about why he chose to do things the way that they do them. All of his answers conveyed a ton of thought, time, and trial-and-error being put into them. They do things the way that they do because it gives their customers the best possible Taylor guitars possible. The best possible Martin/Gibson/Fender/[insert brand name here] guitars possible may be made in a completely different way.

Archived