Recommend me an S-S-H GFS pup combo

cBc

• Members

I recently picked up another Pacifica 112 guitar. I like the stock pups, but they are a little thin sounding. & I already have one w/ stock pups. Plus wanting to keep it low $$

Was wondering what mixed GFS sets people have tried out & liked. Not looking for heavy metal output, just the Strat tonez + HB classic rock action.

Thanks!

• Members

I really like my Seymour Duncan 59 pickups, so I suppose i could recommend their "Vintage 59" pickups. As far as strat pickups go, I've heard good things about all of their Grey Bottom pickups. the 64 Texas would be my choice.

• Members

Thanks for the input(s) !!

Yeah I was kind of leaning towards the greybottom overwounds, Wagdog's been talking them up before in other threads.

For the HB, all interesting choices, the 59 was recommended by Jay as a good pup with lower output than the crunchy PATs. The P-90 might be a cool choice, though that means that all 3 are single coil = more noise.

Hmm..the VEH isn't as hot as I expected it to be , might be a cool option too :thu:

• Members

In the partscaster that I just built I have the Crunchy Pat HB (a super distortion copy) with Premium Overwound Alnicos in the mid and neck. It sounds really good and the hotter single coils can keep up with the bridge HB.

I have been leaning towards ceramic HB's lately with good results (a little more crunch and bite). I have a Dimarzio Super D in another Strat and the GFS is very comparible. I have it wired as HB in pos 1 and split HB and mid in pos 2 for noise cancelling in single coil operation. It works well and still sounds stratty.

• Members

Crunchy Pat HB (a super distortion copy)

Let's clear this once and for all: the Crunchy PAT sounds NOTHING at all like a Super Distortion! The SD sounds very full, thick and huge, while the GFS is brighter, has way less low end and cuts like a knife. I love both, but I prefer the crunchy pat just a little bit :)

• Members

yeah, I have a set of Crunchies in my Yamaha 120D, & I have kind of a love/hate relationship with their tone. Some days they sound OK, but most days not so much.

I recently put a Dean Mountain of Tone single HB in my Yammy SE150 & frikkin LOVE IT, but it's $90.00 (the guitar it went in was only $40 on ebay..lol)

• Members

For single coils, I'd go with either the Premium Alnico IIs if you want a more vintage/surfy vibe or the Premium Alnico Vs if you want more of a Gilmour/Knopfler type sound.

For humbuckers, the only ones I've tried that I truly liked are the Alnico IIs. Nice and low output. I like them quite a bit and I also own Seth Lovers, 57 Classics, Dimarzio 36th Anniversaries...

I had the Fat PATs and they were OK, but I didn't care for the bridge that much. Had the Crunchy PATs and they weren't really me. I have an older Crunchy PAF (before they had to call them PATs) that I put in a Jackson and it does a fine job on 80s hair metal type tones, but that's not what I usually go for. Also had two sets of Dream 180s. They are pretty disctintive, but I prefer the warmer Alnico IIs.

Archived