Modding Guitar, but what to do with all of these extra holes???

flange

• Members

I have a Carvin DC127 with two humbuckers currently in it. I'm thinking about throwing some P90's (that fit in humbucker slots) into it, but will have some empty/unused holes due to the complexity of my current configuration.

Right now I have a hole for

- 1 - Volume

- 1 - Tone

- 1 - 3-way pickup switch

- 2 - Pickup splitter switches

- 1 - phase switch

By switching to the single coils, I'm going to have quite a few free spaces. Any suggestions on some interesting avenues I can take to fill those holes with switches for interesting functions? While practical is desired, I'll also take gimmicky if anyone has any suggestions.

I've heard of some additions like passive overdrive circuits, but don't know how good these sound, or if it would truly be worth it.

Any suggestions would help.

Thanks!

- Flange

• Members

I guess you could make one of the switches into a kill switch. Another could be used to bypass the tone control. Heck, I'd leave them open and call them 'tone holes'.

I vote you go with a kill switch and 2 phase switches. Kind of a pseudo Brian May setup :thu:

[edit] now that I think about it, two phase switches would be redundant. Soooo.... 1 phase switch, 1 kill switch, and 1 tone bypass :idk:

:lol: @ 'Tone Holes', btw

th_SpeedHoles.jpg

• Members

So I imagine that's 3 mini toggle spots. Here's what I'd do...

Mod the phase flip to a tuned phase flip (by adding a cap and resistor in series) similar to the way it was done in the old Fender JD Telecaster. This will give you a more usable tone when the phase is flipped by tuning the phase cancellation. You'll have to experiment with values.

For the other 2 switches, perhaps bass cut switches for each pup (just add a cap in series with hot pickup output). Again, you'll have to experiment with values but you might be able to shape the P90 tone into something closer to a Tele. Or a master bass cut and kill.

• Members

You can put in a series parallel switch for the Singles which is always a great tone. You could leave the phase switch in if you want. The other can be swapping tone caps or adding trebble bleed.

My suggestion would be these though. http://guitarfuel.com/active_tone_circuits.php

They are low cost, work great, sound great and battery life is super long. The ones with the single switches may do the trick. otherwise the preamp os really ggo. I have that one in a guitar with p90s and it really brings out the tone. I also Have the Overdrive in a strat and EXP expaner in another. All are super quiet. You just need the room for the board depth batteries

• Members

So many options. I'm currently looking into the semantics of doing a couple of these. So far we've got

- Kill switch

- Tone bypass switch

- "Tone holes" (awesomeness)

- Phase switch

- EMG PA-2 boost

- Tuned phase flip

- Bass cut switches for each pickup

- A "holy crap" switch for complete bypass

- Series parallel switch (+2)

I've seen these...

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Black_Ice_overdrive.html

Anyone have any opinion on this? Better alternative?

Thanks again!

- Flange

Archived