What pics do you want to see when buying a used guitar online?

knotty

• Members

People never show decent pics.

I want to see.

Headstock decals/joint/

Serial number

Fret wear at 2 and 12 areas specifically.

Along neck from Headstock.

Saddles/pickups.

General cosmetic shots.

Whadayafink?:cool:

• Members

All of the above and please, PLEASE take the pictures in focus, in good light, with minimal glare from the flash.

If the picture is more bright white from the flash than guitar, I'm going to skip the listing entirely.

Also, add:

Take close up pictures of any problem spots such as known finish issues, etc.

• Members

All of the above and please, PLEASE take the pictures in focus, in good light, with minimal glare from the flash.

If the picture is more bright white from the flash than guitar, I'm going to skip the listing entirely.

Also, add:

Take close up pictures of any problem spots such as known finish issues, etc.

This. ^^^ I cannot count how many times I see shots of a guitar that are so blurry I can't even tell if it has strings or not. Some of them even say to "see the pics" for dings and scratches - then show really blurred-out shots from a bad cell phone cam.

and get a bit closer to the guitar! Often, it seems that the pics are of the entire room the guitar is in, the guitar is taking up only 20% of the image space. At least crop it down closer to just the thing you're trying to sell.

I like to see an overall of the whole front (from headstock to bottom end), and the whole back, close-up of the headstock (front and back), close-up of the pickups+bridge, the neck joint, close-up of (at least some of) the frets, and DEFINITELY good shots of any of dings, breaks, scratches, or flaws major enough to mention.

If you don't have anything better than a poor-quality cellphone cam - try to borrow a friend's or relatives, cuz those poor pics do NOT help to sell your instrument.

• Members

Pics are important in a modern ad, and at minimum I want a front shot of the entire guitar. this answers the questions of color, general condition, and weather the seller even knows what he is selling (right model, make, ect.)- but a good description can go a long way. keep in mind, case queens get sold by non-guitar players, non digital camera and internet savvy people.

Price, shipping, payment terms, a reference or two, and good contact info are even more important.

I can make do with a cell-phone pix or two, but I cannot abide the modern tendency to post a pix with a "hit me back"- end of ad.

with no clue on price, location (for shipping) or for local deal. These idiots that live 2-6 hours away and don't reveal it when posting on CL are %#&%*! along with those fishing for a trade wayyy out of their league? arrrug!

The Trade Value concept is excellent, when done right. as long as clearly stated trade interests are listed. The classifieds are clogged with ads though of people "fishing" for trades out of their league.

Archived