Irongear Pickup recommendation?

Annoying Twit

• Members

Since my son wasn't using it, I did a trial pickup modification to his 1/2 sized Westfield guitar. I replaced the single humbucker with a Irongear Rolling Mill. Problem was, at the time I asked for something "mellow". The Rolling Mill is mellow, but either I've done something wrong with the wiring (seems a bit unlikely), or I should have replaced other components (pots, cap) to match the pickup, or the pickup is way, way, way too mellow for a 1/2 sized guitar. If you take the amount of mellowness difference between the bridge and neck pickup of my full sized LP copy, and then go about three times as far in the "mellow" direction, that's where the 1/2 sized guitar is.

Is there a reasonably inexpensive pickup I could try which would have more treble and "bite". E.g. something that would lead to a sound more like my Yammie Pacifica 112v bridge humbucker sound?

Note: As I'm experimenting, I don't want to, at this moment, buy a top flight pickup. (Sorry Bryan). I'm just experimenting with different sounds. Something in the Irongear range might do, or something similarly priced.

• Moderators

Since my son wasn't using it, I did a trial pickup modification to his 1/2 sized Westfield guitar. I replaced the single humbucker with a Irongear Rolling Mill. Problem was, at the time I asked for something "mellow". The Rolling Mill is mellow, but either I've done something wrong with the wiring (seems a bit unlikely), or I should have replaced other components (pots, cap) to match the pickup, or the pickup is way, way, way too mellow for a 1/2 sized guitar. If you take the amount of mellowness difference between the bridge and neck pickup of my full sized LP copy, and then go about three times as far in the "mellow" direction, that's where the 1/2 sized guitar is.

Is there a reasonably inexpensive pickup I could try which would have more treble and "bite". E.g. something that would lead to a sound more like my Yammie Pacifica 112v bridge humbucker sound?

Note: As I'm experimenting, I don't want to, at this moment, buy a top flight pickup. (Sorry Bryan). I'm just experimenting with different sounds. Something in the Irongear range might do, or something similarly priced.

Tonerider Rocksong or Generator:thu:

• Members

I've got the tonerider pickup demos mentioned in my mp3 player playlist to compare over time.

But here's the Irongear Alchemist 90. What's up with the weird background noise in this. Hum, I can understand since it's a single coil pickup. But what's that other noise? http://www.irongear.co.uk/alchemist%2090%20neck%20clean.mp3

• Moderators

I've got the tonerider pickup demos mentioned in my mp3 player playlist to compare over time.

But here's the Irongear Alchemist 90. What's up with the weird background noise in this. Hum, I can understand since it's a single coil pickup. But what's that other noise?
http://www.irongear.co.uk/alchemist%2090%20neck%20clean.mp3

Hmmm, thats not what I'd call a clean signal, difficult to say

• Members

Hmmm, thats not what I'd call a clean signal, difficult to say

Do you hear a really weird buzz?

BTW: The Rolling Mill sample from Irongear sounds mellow, but nothing like as mellow as it does on the guitar. The Irongear Steam Hammer sounds brighter, but not hugely brighter. Could it be something else killing the treble?

• Moderators

Do you hear a really weird buzz?

BTW: The Rolling Mill sample from Irongear sounds mellow, but nothing like as mellow as it does on the guitar. The Irongear Steam Hammer sounds brighter, but not hugely brighter. Could it be something else killing the treble?

Yes, the pots could easily be causing problems, do you hear much change on the tone pot?

Archived